Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Henry Watterson; William Jennings Bryan; David Starr Jordan; Wayne MacVeagh; Clarence Clough Buel; Abraham Lincoln; Theodore Roosevelt; William H Taft; Woodrow Wilson; Rebecca Watterson|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Reproduction Notes:||Microfilm. Louisville, Ky. : Archives and Records Center, University of Louisville, August 1984.|
|Description:||7 Reels of microfilm.|
This collection records the newspaper editor's career and documents, through his editorials and correspondence, his stand against protective tariff, his objection to the Civil Service Act, endorsement of the Gold Democrats in 1896, his opinions on William Jennings Bryan, the rift and subsequent reconciliation with Woodrow Wilson, his views on American involvement in World War I, his opposition to woman's suffrage and other political/social/economic issues.
Among Watterson's correspondents (Series #1) were William Jennings Bryan, Clarence Buel, David Starr Jordan and Wayne MacVeagh. Topics of his editorials and correspondence included politics, journalism and reconstruction. Several of his editorials (Series #2) were written on William Jennings Bryan, Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft and Woodrow Wilson. Also present is Watterson's autobiography (Series #3) which ran as a serial in the COURIER JOURNAL in 1919. Watterson's favorite topics for speeches were Abraham Lincoln and journalism and are included in Series #5 - Speeches. Series #6 is comprised of newspaper clippings from around the country and Series (#7) is a collection of genealogical materials of Henry and Rebecca Watterson and includes various memorabilia.
- Watterson, Henry, -- 1840-1921.
- Bryan, William Jennings, -- 1860-1925.
- Jordan, David Starr, -- 1851-1931.
- MacVeagh, Wayne, -- 1883-1917.
- Buel, Clarence Clough, -- 1850-1933.
- Lincoln, Abraham, -- 1809-1865.
- Roosevelt, Theodore, -- 1858-1919.
- Taft, William H. -- (William Howard), -- 1857-1930.
- Wilson, Woodrow, -- 1856-1924.
- Watterson, Rebecca.
- Louisville Courier Journal (Ky.)
- United States. -- Civil Service Act.
- Journalism -- Editing.
- Suffrage -- History.
- Reconstruction (1914-1939)
- Editors -- Kentucky -- Louisville.
- Pulitzer Prizes.