Manuscripts for publication
|提及的人：||Dean Acheson; Carlos Baker; Fulgencio Batista y Zaldívar; Rómulo Betancourt; Claude Gernade Bowers; Fidel Castro; Benedetto Croce; François Duvalier; Cyrus Stephen Eaton; Max Frankel; Che Guevara; Ernest Hemingway; Juscelino Kubitschek; Walter Lippmann; Archibald MacLeish; Herbert Lionel Matthews; Luis Muñoz Marín; Luis Quintanilla; James Reston; Arthur Hays Sulzberger; Norman Thomas|
Herbert Lionel Matthews
|语言注释：||Material is in English and Spanish.|
|注意：||In 2006 Anthony DePalma's "The Man Who Invented Fidel: Castro, Cuba, and Herbert L. Matthews of The New York Times" was published by Public Affairs.|
|描述：||18 linear ft. (36 document boxes, 1 flat box, and 7 custom boxes)|
The Herbert L. Matthews Papers contain a diverse collection of documents and other materials from the life and family of journalist Herbert L. Matthews. The bulk of the papers consists of dispatches for the New York Times and assorted research materials, including notes, periodicals, and photographs. Matthews' assignments for the Times ranged from the Italian invasion of Ethiopia (then Abyssinia) in 1935 and 1936, to his coverage of Cuba and Latin America well into the 1960s, with the Spanish Civil War, World War II and post-war Europe in between. Another large portion of the collection includes manuscripts and research materials for the nearly twenty books Matthews wrote based on his experiences as a war correspondent in North Africa, Italy, and Spain in the mid- to late-1930s, his coverage of the Cuban Revolution, and his memoirs. Other elements of the collection consist of correspondence with political, intellectual, and artistic figures of the twentieth century, including Fidel Castro, Winston Churchill, Benedetto Croce, and Ernest Hemingway. Also included are ephemera collected during his career as a war correspondent, and materials generated by Matthew's wife, brother, and other family members.
- Acheson, Dean, -- 1893-1971.
- Baker, Carlos, -- 1909-1987.
- Batista y Zaldívar, Fulgencio, -- 1901-1973.
- Betancourt, Rómulo, -- 1908-1981.
- Bowers, Claude Gernade, -- 1879-1958.
- Castro, Fidel, -- 1926-
- Croce, Benedetto, -- 1866-1952.
- Duvalier, François, -- 1907-1971.
- Eaton, Cyrus Stephen, -- 1883-1979.
- Frankel, Max, -- 1914-
- Guevara, Che, -- 1928-1967.
- Hemingway, Ernest, -- 1899-1961.
- Kubitschek, Juscelino, -- 1902-1976.
- Lippmann, Walter, -- 1889-1974.
- MacLeish, Archibald, -- 1892-1982.
- Matthews, Herbert Lionel, -- 1900-
- Muñoz Marín, Luis, -- 1898-1980.
- Quintanilla, Luis, -- 1900-1980.
- Reston, James, -- 1909-1995.
- Sulzberger, Arthur Hays, -- 1891-1968.
- Thomas, Norman, -- 1884-1968.
- Radio scripts.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Italy.
- Cuba -- History -- Revolution, 1959.
- Cuba -- Politics and government.
- Cuba -- Description and travel.
- India -- History -- 20th century.
- Spain -- History -- Civil War, 1936-1939.
- Spain -- History -- Civil War, 1936-1939 -- Journalists.
- Spain -- History -- Civil War, 1936-1939 -- Personal narratives.
- Spain -- History -- Civil War, 1936-1939 -- Press coverage.