Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Richard Francis Burton, Sir; Richard Francis Burton, Sir; Richard Francis Burton|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Dane Keith Kennedy
|Description:||354 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.|
|Contents:||I The Gypsy 10 --
II The Orientalist 26 --
III The Impersonator 58 --
IV The Explorer 93 --
V The Racist 131 --
VI The Relativist 164 --
VII The Sexologist 206 --
VIII The Afterlife 248.
"One of the great challenges confronting the British in the nineteenth century was to make sense of the multiplicity of peoples and cultures they encountered in their imperial march around the globe. Burton played an important role in this mission. Drawing on his wide-ranging experiences in other lands and intense curiosity about their inhabitants, he conducted an intellectually ambitious, highly provocative inquiry into racial, religious, and sexual differences that exposed his own society's norms to scrutiny.".
"Dane Kennedy offers an examination of Burton and his contribution to the widening world of the Victorians. He advances the view that the Victorians' efforts to attach meaning to the differences they observed among other peoples had a profound influence on their own sense of self, destabilizing identities and reshaping consciousness."--BOOK JACKET.
- Burton, Richard Francis, -- Sir, -- 1821-1890.
- Great Britain -- History -- Victoria, 1837-1901 -- Biography.
- Explorers -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Scholars -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Explorateurs -- Grande-Bretagne -- Biographies.
- Savants -- Grande-Bretagne -- Biographies.
- Grande-Bretagne -- Histoire -- 1837-1901 (Victoria) -- Biographies.
- Burton, Richard Francis