by Hereward Carrington Print book
Hindu magic self taught   (2013-04-25)
Review of `Hindu magic self taught, by Hereward Carrington edited by Emanuel Haldeman-Julius, published by Haldeman-Julius Publications, Girard, Kansas in 1924.
CITATION: Carrington, H. (1924). Hindu magic self taught (Little Blue Book #1277). Girard, Kansas: Haldeman-Julius Publications.
Reviewer: Dr William P. Palmer
The reviewer plans to do some research on the life and works of Hereward Carrington, so some of his Little Blue Books will be reviewed. `Hindu magic self taught' is one of twenty Little Blue Books that Hereward Carrington (see listing below) wrote for Emanuel Haldeman-Julius, the well known publisher whose publishing business was centred at Girard, Kansas.
Little Blue Books usually have about 32 or 64 pages. `Hindu magic self taught' has 32 pages. It was originally published in the mid 1920s and continued in print until the final collapse of Haldeman-Julius Publications when the printery burned down on July 4, 1978.
The small booklet mentions twelve tricks commonly practiced by `Hindu fakirs'. The tricks which he mentions occupy separate sections of varying lengths in the booklet and are:
The mango tree trick (12 pages)
The basket trick (6 pages)
The dry sands trick (2 pages)
The coloured sands trick (2 pages)
The diving duck (2 pages)
The jumping rabbit (2 pages)
The beans and scorpion trick (1 page)
The basket and chicken trick (1 page)
The cotton trick (1 page)
The brass bowl trick (2 pages)
The (Indian) rope trick (2 pages)
In all cases Carrington clearly explains the methods by which these tricks were performed, the usual explanations being of hidden compartments, by sleight of hand and through the use of accomplices. Carrington believes that the most famous trick, the Indian rope trick, has never been performed as popularly imagined.
A list of 19 Little Blue Books written by Hereward Carrington.
409b. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YENFLA/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk">Great Men of Science; Little Blue Book No. 409</a> [by] Hereward Carrington.
417. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WMGVF6/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk">The Nature of Dreams (Little Blue Book No. 417)</a> [by] Hereward Carrington
419. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X43JCE/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk">LITTLE BLUE BOOK NO. 419 Life: Its Origin and Nature</a>.
421 <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014OTJ62/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk">LITTLE BLUE BOOK NO. 421: YOGA PHILOSOPHY: AN OUTLINE OF THE SECRET HINDU TEACHINGS</a>
445 <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E5ESCG/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk">Psychical Research Volume 1 - Little Blue Book No. 445</a>.
446 <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KEGMVW/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk">Psychical Research, Volume 2 Little Blue Book Ten Cent Pocket Series #446 Vol II</a>
491. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00122E6F0/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk">Psychology For Beginners, Little Blue Book No. 491</a>
[by] Hereward Carrington
493. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RXCX10/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk">New discoveries in science</a>
524. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WMIXV6/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk">Death: And Its Problems (Little Blue Book No. 524)</a>.
602. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X689F6/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk">Great Pyramid of Egypt (Little Blue Book #602. Sphynx, Religion & Magic of Ancient Egypt</a>
679. Chemistry for Beginners (Little Blue Book No. 679)
761. Food and diet in relation to life and health (Little blue book).
895. Astronomy for Beginners (Little Blue Book No. 895).
1277. Hindu Magic Self Taught (Little Blue Book No. 1277).
1278. Ventriloquism Self Taught; Little Blue Book No. 1278
1279. Side-Show Tricks Eplained: Sword Swallowing, Fire Eating, Feats of Strength, Juggling Secrets, etc. [by] Hereward Carrington.
1890 Scientific Oddities [by] Hereward Carrington
Was this review helpful to you?