Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Turner, Henry Ashby.
Hitler's thirty days to power.
Reading, Mass. : Addison-Wesley, c1996
|Named Person:||Adolf Hitler; Adolf Hitler|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Henry Ashby Turner
|Description:||xii, 255 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||Prologue: the field marshal, the corporal, and the general --
A conspiracy against the Chancellor is hatched --
Hitler scores a dubious triumph amid a Nazi crisis --
Schleicher falls victim to illusions --
The conspiracy widens and Schleicher relinquishes power --
Papen leads the plunge into the abyss --
Determinacy, contingency, and responsibility.
|Responsibility:||Henry Ashby Turner, Jr.|
than a third of the popular vote, nevertheless successfully pursued an all-or-nothing strategy to become leader of Germany. On January 30, amidst rumors, confusion, and several thwarted attempts to stop the event, Hitler was sworn in as Chancellor, and Germany turned its future over to a madman. Drawing on a lifetime of studying the Nazi regime, and newly available documents, Henry Turner shows how luck, political brinksmanship, and the personal weaknesses of his.
opponents helped Hitler come to power. He paints vivid portraits of Hitler and the other main players in this political drama - President and aging war hero Marshal Paul von Hindenburg; the miscalculating General von Schleicher (whom Hitler would later murder); and the devious von Papen. Through these characters - and a final brilliant chapter on historical contingency and responsibility - Turner re-establishes the importance of individual actors in the unfolding of.
- Hitler, Adolf, -- 1889-1945.
- Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter-Partei.
- Germany -- Politics and government -- 1918-1933.
- National socialism.
- Heads of state -- Germany -- Biography.
- Political culture -- Germany.
- Political parties -- Germany -- History -- 20th century.
- Hitler, Adolf.
- Germany -- Politics and government -- 1918-1933
- Heads of state -- Germany -- Biography
- Hitler, Adolf -- 1889-1945
- National socialism
- Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter-Partei
- Political culture -- Germany
- Political parties -- Germany -- History -- 20th century