Criticism, interpretation, etc
Vice, Sue, 1961-
London ; New York : Routledge, 2000
|提及的人：||William Styron; William Styron|
|ISBN:||0203360745 9780203360743 9780415185530 041518553X|
|描述：||1 online resource (239 pages)|
|内容：||Formal matters: Martin Amis, Time's arrow --
Documentary fiction: D.M. Thomas, The white hotel --
Autobiographical fiction: Jerzy Kosinski, The painted bird --
Faction: Thomas Keneally, Schindler's list --
Melodrama: William Styron, Sophie's choice --
Historical polemic: Helen Darville, The hand that signed the paper.
Examining the controversies that have accompanied the publication of novels representing the Holocaust, this compelling book explores such literature to analyze their violently mixed receptions and what this says about the ethics and practice of millennial Holocaust literature. The novels examined, including some for the first time, are: * Time's Arrow by Martin Amis * The White Hotel by D.M. Thomas * The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski * Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally * Sophie's Choice by William Styron * The Hand that Signed the Paper by Helen Darville. Taking issue with the idea that the Holocaust should only be represented factually, this compelling book argues that Holocaust fiction is not only legitimate, but an important genre that it is essential to accept. In a growing area of interest, Sue Vice adds a new, intelligent and contentious voice to the key debates within Holocaust studies.
- Styron, William, -- 1925-2006. -- Sophie's choice.
- Styron, William, -- 1925-
- Sophie's choice (Styron, William)
- English fiction -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945), in literature.
- Australian fiction -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Literature and the war.
- Jews in literature.
- LITERARY CRITICISM -- European -- English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh.
- Australian fiction.
- English fiction.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) in literature.
- War and literature.