Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Personal narratives, Jewish
|Named Person:||Moe Marx; Josef Burg; Josef Burg; Moe Marx|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Moe Marx; Ruth Erie; Gratz College Holocaust Oral History Archive.
|Notes:||Accompanied by 3 sound cassettes.
Transcript of taped interview conducted on Nov. 7, 1994 and April, 1995.
|Description:||30 pages ; 28 cm + 3 audiocassettes.|
|Series Title:||Gratz College Oral History Archive, no. 57.|
|Responsibility:||interviewer, Ruth Erie.|
 He briefly describes his life in England and refers to England's deportation of Jewish German refugees as "enemy aliens" on the Arandora Star. He reports that his mother and the remaining children in the Waisenhaus were transported to Theresienstadt and that his father established a home for evacuated Jewish children in Northampton. He describes in great detail his deportation on the Dunera to Australia in July 1940, together with other Jews and German and Italian prisoners of war. He describes his life at the internment camp in Hay, New South Wales, Australia: religious organizations, cultural activities, relationship with Australian Army and local Jewish community; his transfer with 200 rheumatic fever patients to a camp in Tatura, State of Victoria. He returned to England in 1942 when the German Jewish refugees were allowed to enlist in the Australian Military Labor Corps, return to England, or go to Palestine.
- Marx, Moe, -- 1916-
- Burg, Josef.
- Arandora Star (Ship)
- Dunera (Ship)
- Jewish Agency for Israel. -- Youth Aliyah Department.
- John Hay Internment Camp (Baguio, Philippines)
- Waisenhaus (Halle an der Saale, Germany)
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Personal narratives.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, Jewish.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Refugees.
- Jews -- Persecutions -- Germany -- Gailingen.
- Holocaust survivors.
- Aliens -- England.
- Concentration camps -- Australia -- Tatura (Vic.)
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Deportations.
- Dachau (Concentration camp)
- Kristallnacht, 1938.
- Concentration camps.
- Jews -- Persecutions.
- Germany -- Gailingen.
- Victoria -- Tatura.