Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Government publication, State or province government publication|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||081301249X 9780813012490 0813012503 9780813012506|
|Description:||xiv, 640 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||1. Coming to Costa Rica --
2. The Road from La Penca --
3. AID's Privatization Solution --
4. Privatization of the Banks --
5. The Parallel State --
6. Health Care in the 1980s: Making Chocolate with Only a Little Cocoa --
7. Nontraditional Agricultural Exports: An Agriculture of Desserts --
8. The Southern Front: "Honduras South" --
9. The Southern Front: Its CIA Network, Surrogates, and Collaborators --
10. Militarizing Costa Rica --
11. Unconventional Warfare: La Penca, Drugs, and Other Dirty Tricks --
12. The Santa Elena Airstrip and the Opening of the Southern Front --
13. The Success of Washington's "Project Pastora" and the Dismantling of the Southern Front --
14. Arias: Making Peace.
Honey explores the interaction between politics and economic aid during the Reagan/Bush years, describing illegal military activities, payoffs to Costa Rica officials, misappropriation of funds, and President Oscar Arias's pursuit of his Central American Peace Plan in 1986. She recounts her life at the time with her husband, cameraman and journalist Tony Avirgan, writing that "it never occurred to us that by pursuing a journalistic investigation we would end up being accused of drug trafficking, of murder, of bribing witnesses, of espionage; that we would be twice sued for libel; that our media clients would be pressured to stop hiring us and our colleagues would be told we were Communist agents." Honey's account ends in 1989, the year the Costa Rican government charged CIA operative John Hull with committing "hostile acts" for his involvement in contra operations.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Costa Rica.
- Costa Rica -- Foreign relations -- United States.
- Costa Rica -- Relaciones exteriores -- EE.UU.
- Geschichte 1980-1989.
- Costa Rica
- Costa -- Foreign -- United States
- United -- Foreign -- Costa Rica
User lists with this item (1)
- Currently checked out... aka books Kitty is sorry she asked about(6 items)
by jkierald updated 2009-05-04