Camilo J Vergara
|描述：||xiv, 283 p. : col. ill. ; 31 cm.|
|内容：||Religion, transcendence, and denial among America's urban poor --
Church stories --
Architecture, design, and urbanism --
I am here to preach the truth to you : church leaders --
Dealing in hope : pastor, preacher, apostle, minister, elder, congregant --
Churches : the public face --
Christian supplies : creating an atmosphere of reverence and devotion.
|責任：||Camilo José Vergara.|
"Domestically and abroad, America is known as the richest country in the world. It is hard not to be impressed by the standard of living in the nation's most affluent suburban and urban neighborhoods. Yet, scattered amid stretches that abound in wealth, the country is home to neighborhoods rife with violence, poverty, segregation, and decay. Within these blighted urban landscapes, however, there is at least one notable example of plenty: churches. They do not always appear as traditional houses of worship, but often emerge from the retrofitted shells of former storefronts, garages, factories, warehouses, domestic dwellings, and public institutions. Regardless of the facade, churches populate America's poorest neighborhoods"--Inside front jacket cover.
- Religion and social problems -- United States.
- Church and social problems -- United States.
- Church buildings -- United States.
- African American churches.
- Urban poor -- Religion.
- Inner cities -- Economic aspects -- United States.
- Urban African Americans -- Social life and customs.
- African Americans -- Economic conditions.
- Hispanic Americans -- Economic conditions.
- United States -- Religious life and customs.
- Religieuze gebruiken.
- Verenigde Staten.