Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Records and correspondence
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Howard C Rice; France Rice; Alexander D Wainwright
|Language Note:||English and French.|
|Description:||.20 linear ft. (1 half-size archival box)|
Most of the letters are typewritten and date mainly from the time that Rice was working at the Collège de L'Europe Libre, in Strasbourg, France. Subjects discussed in the correspondence are Rice's position at the Collège de L'Europe where he was sent to manage its library; the Princeton University Library and the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections; the PRINCETON UNIVERSITY LIBRARY CHRONICLE and articles that were to be published in different issues; the planning of exhibitions in the Department of Rare Books and exhibition catalogues being printed; the Friends of the Princeton University Library; manuscript collections; and the organization of the department's vaults. They also discuss several people associated with the library or with Princeton University, including Robert H. Taylor, William Dix (University Librarian), Elmer Adler (Curator of Graphic Arts), and Willard Thorp (Princeton professor). Included is a typewritten newsletter (7 leaves), which was sent by Howard and France Rice to all their friends. This newsletter includes several watercolor drawings by Rice. There is also a hand-drawn map to Rice's home in Brattleboro, Vermont. Some of the cards are signed by Rice and his wife, and a few are written in French. Also included is a typed manuscript (13 numbered leaves), with an autograph inscription to Wainwright titled, "Out of India into Vermont, Selections from Rudyard Kipling, with a commentary and interpolations by Howard C. Rice," dated December 1971.
- Princeton University. -- Library. -- Department of Rare Books and Special Collections -- History -- 20th century -- Sources.
- Friends of the Princeton University Library.
- Princeton University. -- Library -- History -- 20th century -- Sources.
- Princeton University Library chronicle.
- Librarians -- New Jersey -- Princeton -- 20th century -- Correspondence.
- Princeton University. -- Library.
- Princeton University. -- Library. -- Department of Rare Books and Special Collections.
- Princeton University. -- Library. -- Friends.
- New Jersey -- Princeton.