Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Elmer Adler; Rudyard Kipling; Robert H Taylor; Willard Thorp|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Howard C Rice; Frances Rice; Alexander D Wainwright
|Language Note:||English and French.|
|Description:||.20 linear ft. (1 half-size archival box)|
Most of the letters are typed and signed, with a few that are handwritten, mainly during the time that Rice was working at the Collège de L'Europe Libre, in Strasbourg, France. Subjects discussed in the correspondence are Rice's position at the Collège de L'Europe where he was sent to manage its library; Princeton University Library and the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections; the Princeton University Chronicle and articles that were to be published in different issues; the planning of exhibitions in the Department of Rare Books, and exhibition catalogues being printed; the Friends of the Library; manuscript collections; and the organization of the department's vaults. They also discuss several people associated with the library or with Princeton University including Robert H. Taylor, William Dix (University Librarian), Elmer Adler (Curator of Graphic Arts), and Willard Thorp (Princeton Professor). Included is a typewritten newsletter, seven leaves, which was sent by Howard and France Rice to all their friends. This newsletter includes several watercolor drawings by Rice. There is also a hand drawn map to Rice's home in Brattleboro Vermont. Some of the cards are signed by Rice and his wife Frances, and a few are written in French. Also included is typed manuscript, 13 numbered leaves, with an autograph inscription to Wainwright, titled: "Out of India into Vermont, Selections from Rudyard Kipling, with a commentary and interpolations by Howard C. Rice"; dated December 1971.
- Adler, Elmer, -- 1884-1962.
- Kipling, Rudyard, -- 1865-1936.
- Taylor, Robert H.
- Thorp, Willard, -- 1899-1990.
- Princeton University. -- Faculty -- 20th century.
- Princeton University. -- Library. -- Department of Rare Books and Special Collections -- Exhibitions -- History.
- Princeton University. -- Library. -- Department of Rare Books and Special Collections -- History.
- Princeton University. -- Library. -- Friends.
- Princeton University. -- Library -- History.
- Libraries and librarianship.
- Princeton University Library chronicle.