Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Ralph J Bunche; Kenneth Bancroft Clark; W E B Du Bois; Lorenzo J Greene; Patricia Harris; Langston Hughes; Thurgood Marshall; James H Robinson; Elliott P Skinner|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Hugh H Smythe; Mabel M Smythe
|Language Note:||Collection material in English.|
|Description:||36,500 items. 105 containers plus 1 classified. 42 linear feet.|
Also documents Hugh Smythe's position as professor of sociology at Brooklyn College and Mabel Smythe's position as professor and director of African studies at Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.; their work for the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Phelps-Stokes Fund, and the Encyclopaedia Britannica Educational Corporation; and their advocacy for the civil rights movement, multiculturalism, school desegregation, and the career advancement of African Americans at the State Dept. Other topics include Israeli-Arab border conflicts, the plight of refugees, women's issues, and the improvement of health and economic conditions in the United States. Other organizations represented include the African-American Institute, African-American Scholars Council, and Operation Crossroads Africa. Correspondents include Ralph J. Bunche, Kenneth Bancroft Clark, W.E.B. Du Bois, Lorenzo Johnston Greene, Patricia Harris, Langston Hughes, Thurgood Marshall, James H. Robinson, and Elliott Percival Skinner.
- Bunche, Ralph J. -- (Ralph Johnson), -- 1904-1971.
- Clark, Kenneth Bancroft, -- 1914-2005.
- Du Bois, W. E. B. -- (William Edward Burghardt), -- 1868-1963.
- Greene, Lorenzo J. -- (Lorenzo Johnston), -- 1899-1988.
- Harris, Patricia, -- 1924-1985.
- Hughes, Langston, -- 1902-1967.
- Marshall, Thurgood, -- 1908-1993.
- Robinson, James H., -- 1929-
- Skinner, Elliott P. -- (Elliott Percival), -- 1924-2007.
- African-American Institute.
- African-American Scholars Council.
- Brooklyn College. -- Faculty.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Educational Corporation.
- NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) -- Faculty.
- Operation Crossroads Africa.
- Phelps-Stokes Fund.
- United Nations.
- United States. -- Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
- United States. -- Department of State -- Officials and employees, African American.
- United States. -- Department of State. -- Bureau of African Affairs.
- United States Advisory Commission on International Educational and Cultural Affairs.
- African American diplomats.
- African Americans -- Civil rights.
- Israel-Arab Border Conflicts, 1949-
- Public health -- United States.
- School integration.
- Sociology -- Study and teaching.
- Japan -- Description and travel.
- Nigeria -- Social conditions.
- Africa, West -- Description and travel.
- Diplomatic and consular service, American -- Cameroon.
- Diplomatic and consular service, American -- Malta.
- Diplomatic and consular service, American -- Syria.
- United States -- Economic conditions -- 20th century.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- 20th century.