Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
"If you were only white".
Columbia : University of Missouri Press, c2012
|Named Person:||Satchel Paige; Satchel Paige|
|Material Type:||Biography, Government publication, State or province government publication|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||xxv, 347 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.|
|Contents:||Warm-ups : a prelude --
Without a Satchel --
On the mount --
"If you were only white" --
Turning the Paige --
Blackballing the Great Depression --
How the West was won --
Baseball diplomacy --
The fugitive --
Double V --
Center stage in the white arena --
Ninth inning --
|Series Title:||Sports and American culture series.|
|Other Titles:||Life of Leroy "Satchel" Paige|
"The problem with legendary figures like Satchel Paige is that their accomplishments are often buried under an accumulation of exaggerations and fables. In his biography of Paige, historian Donald
- Paige, Satchel, -- 1906-1982.
- Baseball players -- United States -- Biography.
- African American baseball players -- United States -- Biography.
- Pitchers (Baseball) -- United States -- Biography.
- Discrimination in sports -- United States.
- Negro leagues -- History.
- African American baseball players.
- Baseball players.
- Discrimination in sports.
- Negro leagues.
- Pitchers (Baseball)
- United States.