doorgaan naar inhoud
The impact of collection weeding on the accuracy of WorldCat holdings Voorbeeldweergave van dit item
SluitenVoorbeeldweergave van dit item
Bezig met controle...

The impact of collection weeding on the accuracy of WorldCat holdings

Auteur: Jeffrey A Young
Uitgever: [Dublin, Ohio] : [OCLC], ©2002.
Editie/Formaat:   eBoek : Document : Engels
Database:WorldCat
Samenvatting:
OCLC's WorldCat database contains 849 million holdings listings for the purpose of associating WorldCat's 48 million bibliographic records with the 41,000 participating libraries in 82 countries that possess those items. In 2001, OCLC celebrated the 30th anniversary of WorldCat. If libraries haven't been diligent about removing holdings of weeded and lost materials, 30 years is a long time for obsolete holdings to  Meer lezen...
Beoordeling:

(nog niet beoordeeld) 0 met beoordelingen - U bent de eerste

Onderwerpen
Meer in deze trant

 

Zoeken naar een online exemplaar

Links naar dit item

Zoeken naar een in de bibliotheek beschikbaar exemplaar

&AllPage.SpinnerRetrieving; Bibliotheken met dit item worden gezocht…

Details

Genre: Document, Internetbron
Soort document: Internetbron, Computerbestand
Alle auteurs / medewerkers: Jeffrey A Young
OCLC-nummer: 53942578
Opmerkingen: Title from title screen (viewed Dec. 22, 2003).
Pdf file of a Master's research paper submitted to the Kent State University School of Library and Information Science in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Library and Information Science. July, 2002.
PDF file made available on the OCLC Website.
Details: System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader.; Mode of access: Internet.
Verantwoordelijkheid: by Jeffrey A. Young.

Fragment:

OCLC's WorldCat database contains 849 million holdings listings for the purpose of associating WorldCat's 48 million bibliographic records with the 41,000 participating libraries in 82 countries that possess those items. In 2001, OCLC celebrated the 30th anniversary of WorldCat. If libraries haven't been diligent about removing holdings of weeded and lost materials, 30 years is a long time for obsolete holdings to accumulate. As OCLC develops new plans to extend the resource sharing capabilities of WorldCat, the reliability of these holdings becomes increasingly important. To the extent that problems exist, these findings can be used to encourage libraries to be more diligent in removing obsolete holdings or perhaps to justify efforts to develop solutions to keep them current. Because this was a pilot study, the sample was limited to books held by members of the OhioLINK consortium. This allowed the author to compare OCLC's holdings against the consolidated catalog for the consortium. While OhioLINK institutions may not perfectly reflect OCLC's current library membership, most of them can claim a long history with OCLC dating back to its origin as the Ohio College Library Center in 1967. This study finds that overall, 7.69% of OCLC's holdings are obsolete compared to the OhioLINK catalog. Little difference was found between ARL and non-ARL institutions. Non-fiction materials made up the bulk of materials sampled and the error rate of 7% for them was in line with the overall rate. The few fiction items in the sample, however, did show an elevated error rate of 20%. Likewise, sampled materials published prior to 1900 were small in number, but exhibited a high error rate of 27%.

Beoordelingen

Beoordelingen door gebruikers
Beoordelingen van GoodReads worden opgehaald...
Bezig met opvragen DOGObooks-reviews...

Tags

U bent de eerste.
Bevestig deze aanvraag

Misschien heeft u dit item reeds aangevraagd. Selecteer a.u.b. Ok als u toch wilt doorgaan met deze aanvraag.

Gekoppelde data


<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/53942578>
library:oclcnum"53942578"
library:placeOfPublication
library:placeOfPublication
owl:sameAs<info:oclcnum/53942578>
rdf:typeschema:Book
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:bookFormatschema:EBook
schema:copyrightYear"2002"
schema:creator
schema:datePublished"2002"
schema:description"OCLC's WorldCat database contains 849 million holdings listings for the purpose of associating WorldCat's 48 million bibliographic records with the 41,000 participating libraries in 82 countries that possess those items. In 2001, OCLC celebrated the 30th anniversary of WorldCat. If libraries haven't been diligent about removing holdings of weeded and lost materials, 30 years is a long time for obsolete holdings to accumulate. As OCLC develops new plans to extend the resource sharing capabilities of WorldCat, the reliability of these holdings becomes increasingly important. To the extent that problems exist, these findings can be used to encourage libraries to be more diligent in removing obsolete holdings or perhaps to justify efforts to develop solutions to keep them current. Because this was a pilot study, the sample was limited to books held by members of the OhioLINK consortium. This allowed the author to compare OCLC's holdings against the consolidated catalog for the consortium. While OhioLINK institutions may not perfectly reflect OCLC's current library membership, most of them can claim a long history with OCLC dating back to its origin as the Ohio College Library Center in 1967. This study finds that overall, 7.69% of OCLC's holdings are obsolete compared to the OhioLINK catalog. Little difference was found between ARL and non-ARL institutions. Non-fiction materials made up the bulk of materials sampled and the error rate of 7% for them was in line with the overall rate. The few fiction items in the sample, however, did show an elevated error rate of 20%. Likewise, sampled materials published prior to 1900 were small in number, but exhibited a high error rate of 27%."@en
schema:exampleOfWork<http://worldcat.org/entity/work/id/13207728>
schema:inLanguage"en"
schema:name"The impact of collection weeding on the accuracy of WorldCat holdings"@en
schema:publisher
schema:url<http://www.oclc.org/research/staff/young/youngj_mlisresearchpaper.pdf>
schema:url

Content-negotiable representations

Venster sluiten

Meld u aan bij WorldCat 

Heeft u geen account? U kunt eenvoudig een nieuwe gratis account aanmaken.