Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
New York : Abbeville Press, ©1994
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||184 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24x26 cm.|
|Contents:||1. The Refugees and the Traveler: Claude Monet, Camille Pissarro, Alfred Sisley --
2. The Social Spectrum: James McNeill Whistler, John Singer Sargent, James Tissot, Giuseppe de Nittis, George Clausen, Jules Bastien-Lepage, Edgar Degas --
3. The Beginning of the Road: Vincent van Gogh --
4. In the Suburbs, at the Savoy: Camille Pissarro, James McNeill Whistler, Claude Monet --
5. The Local Talent: Walter Richard Sickert, Philip Wilson Steer, Lucien Pissarro, Spencer Gore, Harold Gilman, Malcolm Drummond, C.R.W. Nevinson, Charles Ginner --
6. Final Impressions: Andre Derain, Maurice de Vlaminck, Henri le Sidaner, Claude Monet, Oskar Kokoschka.
Claude Monet and Camille Pissarro fled from war-torn France to London in 1870 and produced some of their most appealing work in the city, during both that visit and later sojourns. Alfred Sisley created some of his finest and most lovely pictures just outside London, finding particular inspiration in the regattas that took place at Hampton Court.
The young Vincent van Gogh spent probably the happiest months of his life there, discovering work by British painters and writers that would profoundly shape the course of his career. Other Impressionist-era artists who painted brilliant images of the city are the visitors Giuseppe de Nittis and Andre Derain; the expatriates James McNeill Whistler, James Tissot, and John Singer Sargent; and British painters including Spencer Gore, Walter Richard Sickert, and Philip Wilson Steer.
Vividly written and elegantly designed, this book is filled with exquisite paintings and rare archival images as well as lively commentaries by artists and literary observers. It perfectly captures the flavor of Impressionist London and the lives of the painters it profoundly inspired.
- Impressionism (Art) -- England -- London.
- Painting, English -- England -- London -- 19th century.
- Painting, English -- England -- London -- 20th century.
- London (England) -- In art.
- Paintings -- Special subjects -- Cities
- Impressionnisme (art) -- Grande-Bretagne -- Londres (GB)
- Londres (Grande-Bretagne) dans l'art.
- Impressionism (Art)
- Painting, English.
- England -- London.