Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Betsy Alkenbrack; Capilano College.; Gibson Library Connections, Inc.
|Description:||1 online resource (72 pages)|
|Contents:||Part one: review of literature on harm reduction and lessons for literacy work: What is harm reduction (HR)? --
Harm reduction with injection drug users (IDUs): Addiction; Quality of service; What does progress look like?; The role of the Harm Reduction Worker; Peer programs; "All My Relations": holistic approaches inspired by First Nations traditions --
Lessons for literacy work --
Harm reductions with sex trade workers: Violence; Health; Poverty; Lessons for literacy work --
Literacy programs, practices and practitioners: Literacy with homeless people; Literacy with women in conflict with the law; Literacy with survivors of violence --
Final lessons from the literature: What is harm reduction?; How does harm reduction link to learning?; How can community colleges like Capilano and our community partners support harm reduction in our learning activities? --
Table 1: Principles and practices in harm reduction, literacy and learning --
Table 2: Comparison of progress criteria in harm reduction and literacy. Part two: research on harm reduction and learning in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside: Research methods: Data collection; Data analysis --
Research findings --
1. What is harm reduction and how does it affect Downtown Eastside residents who engage in high-risk behaviours? Defining harm reduction; Crisis management; Foundation building; Engaging --
2. How does harm reduction link to learning? --
3. How can Capilano College and our partner learning centres support harm reduction: Harm reduction principles; Bread and roses; Building connections; A safe space for learning; Asking the right questions; Working with peers. Part three: conclusion and recommendations --
For further reading/surfing --
- Harm reduction.
- Addicts -- British Columbia -- Vancouver.
- Prostitutes -- British Columbia -- Vancouver.
- Homeless persons -- British Columbia -- Vancouver.
- Harm Reduction.
- Substance-Related Disorders -- prevention & control.
- Homeless Persons.
- British Columbia.
- Homeless persons.
- British Columbia -- Vancouver.