Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||William Thomas Lopp; Ellen Louise Kittredge Lopp; Ellen Louise Kittredge Lopp; William Thomas Lopp|
|Material Type:||Biography, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||400 p.,  p. of plates :$bill, ports, map ;$c24 cm.|
"At the heart of the rescue expedition lies another, in some ways more compelling, journey. In a Far Country is the personal odyssey of Tom and Ellen Lopp - their commitment to the natives and the rugged but happy life they built for themselves amid a treeless tundra at the top of the world. The Lopps pulled through on grit and wits, on humility and humor, on trust and love, and by the grace of God. Their accomplishment would surely have received broader acclaim had it not been eclipsed by two simultaneous events: the Spanish-American War and the Alaska gold rush. The United States and its territories were transformed abruptly and irrevocably by these fits of expansionist fever, and despite the thoughtful, determined guidance of the Lopps, the natives of the North were soon overwhelmed by a force mightier than the fiercest Arctic winter: the twentieth century."--BOOK JACKET.
- Lopp, William Thomas, -- 1864-1939.
- Lopp, Ellen Louise Kittredge, -- 1868-1947.
- Bear (Ship)
- Whaling ships -- Alaska -- Barrow, Point -- History -- 19th century.
- Reindeer -- Alaska -- Barrow, Point -- History -- 19th century.
- Missionaries -- Alaska -- Prince of Wales, Cape -- Biography.
- Eskimos -- Alaska -- Prince of Wales, Cape -- History -- 19th century.
- Barrow, Point (Alaska) -- History -- 19th century.
- Prince of Wales, Cape (Alaska) -- Biography.
- Whaling ships.
- Alaska -- Cape Prince of Wales.
- Alaska -- Point Barrow.