Paige Martinez; Sam Sills; Lynne Thigpen; Blackside, Inc.; PBS Video.
|ISBN:||0793613361 : 9780793613366|
|注意：||Originally broadcast as a segment of: America's war on poverty.|
|制作人员：||Editor, Joanna Kiernan ; narrator, Lynne Thigpen.|
|演员：||Narrated by Lynne Thigpen.|
|描述：||1 videocassette (57 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences ; 1/2 in.|
|其他题名：||America's war on poverty (Television program)|
|责任：||a production of Blackside ; produced and directed by Paige Martinez, Sam Sills ; written by Sheila Curran Bernard, Paige Martinez, Sam Sills.|
By 1967, poverty warriors increase the sophistication of their tactics at the same time that a number of outspoken opponents rise to national prominence. Highlights the beginning of Legal Services and VISTA, two programs that combined individual action with the idea of volunteerism. Lawyers team up with migrant farm workers in California to fight for better education, health care and working conditions, and VISTA volunteers and local residents organize against strip mining in Appalachia. Both stories raise significant questions about activities the government funds in the name of fighting poverty.
- Poverty -- United States.
- Poor -- United States.
- Economic assistance, Domestic -- United States.
- Volunteers in Service to America.
- Legal Services Program (U.S.)
- California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation.
- Legal assistance to the rural poor -- United States.
- United States -- Social conditions -- 1960-1980.
- United States -- Economic conditions -- 1961-1971.
- Films for the hearing impaired.
- Economic assistance, Domestic.
- Economic history.
- Legal assistance to the rural poor.
- Social history.
- United States.