Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Songs and music
|Named Person:||Ingrid Brainard; Paul Brainard; Selma Jeanne Cohen; George E Dorris; Barbara Sparti|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Ingrid Brainard; Paul Brainard; Selma Jeanne Cohen; George E Dorris; Barbara Sparti; Cambridge Court Dancers.
|Language Note:||The Personal papers, Professional correspondence, Writings, and Research series contain some materials in French and German.|
|Description:||29 linear feet (86 boxes)|
The collection includes such personal materials as correspondence (between Ingrid, her family, and her husband, Paul Brainard), diaries, immigration papers, and materials from Ingrid's childhood in Germany, including a 1933 Hitler Youth songbook. The majority of the collection, however, documents Brainard's professional career. This material includes correspondence between Brainard and fellow dance scholars, such as Selma Jeanne Cohen, George Dorris, and Barbara Sparti, as well as lecture notes from Brainard's varied teaching positions. Also included are the numerous published and unpublished articles written by Brainard, as well as pieces by other writers which she edited. Of particular interest are records relating to the Cambridge Court Dancers, the historical dance group founded by Brainard; these include member lists, costume patterns, and lecture notes. The collection also contains visual materials, including photographs showing friends, family, and her dance troupe, slides used for lectures, and posters. These papers will be of special interest to researchers interested in historical dance, as Brainard collected copies of many original manuscripts during her time in Europe. The writings also include many unpublished papers on the subject of dance history. The collection is also of interest to World War II scholars, as Brainard wrote many letters during and immediately after the war describing conditions and home life.
- Brainard, Ingrid.
- Brainard, Paul -- Correspondence.
- Cohen, Selma Jeanne, -- 1920-2005 -- Correspondence.
- Dorris, George E. -- 1920-2005 -- Correspondence.
- Sparti, Barbara -- Correspondence.
- Cambridge Court Dancers.
- Hitler-Jugend -- Songs and music.
- Court dancing -- Europe -- History.
- Court dancing -- Europe -- History -- Sources.
- Dance critics -- United States -- 20th century.
- Dance teachers -- United States -- 20th century.
- Women musicologists -- 20th century.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Germany -- History -- Sources.
- Massachusetts -- Intellectual life -- 20th century.