Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Humphrey, Hubert H. (Hubert Horatio), 1911-1978.
Integration vs. segregation.
New York, Crowell 
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Hubert H Humphrey
|Notes:||"Also published under the title School desegregation: documents and commentaries."|
|Description:||xi, 314 pages 22 cm|
|Contents:||1. The courts and desegregation: The Constitution of the United States: Amendment XIV --
Plessy v. Ferguson --
Brown v. Board of Education, May 17, 1954 and May 31, 1955 --
The Southern Manifesto: declaration of constitutional principles --
The school segregation cases: opposing the opinion of the Supreme Court / Eugene Cook and William I. Potter --
The constitutional clock: a horological inquiry / H. Gifford Irion --
The lawfulness of the segregation decisions / Charles L. Black, Jr. Cooper v. Aaron --
2. Desegregation in the South: Freedom, equality, and segregation / Guy B. Johnson --
Readiness and resistance to desegregation: a social portrait of the hard core / Melvin M. Tumin --
Desegregation: the future? / James W. Vander Zanden --
Desegregation does not mean integration / Hodding Carter --
The case for the white Southerner / Perry Morgan --
3. Integration in the North and the West: De facto public school segregation / Will Maslow --
The North and West have problems, too / G.W. Foster, Jr. --
Is "integration" possible in the New York schools? / Nathan Glazer --
4. Psychological aspects of desegregation: The desegregation of Southern schools: a psychiatric study / Robert Coles --
Desegregation creates problems, too / I.N. Berlin --
Stell v. Savannah-Chatham County Board of Education --
5. Racial differences and learning capacities: A scientist's report on race differences / Frank C.J. McGurk --
Race and intelligence / Melvin M. Tumin, editor --
6. Desegregation and private education: Integration -stimulus for private education / H.H. Benjamin --
Freedom of choice and democratic values / Hardy Cross Dillard.