Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Documentaries and factual works
Friends and associates
Childhood and youth
|Named Person:||Ben Vereen; Ben Vereen; Ben Vereen; Andrew Lloyd Webber; Tom O'Horgan; Bob Fosse; Bert Williams; Bob Fosse; Tom O'Horgan; Ben Vereen; Bert Williams|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Ben Vereen; Michael Kantor; Mead Hunt
|Notes:||Copy of transcript available.
This interview is one of a group of interviews with 90 individuals used in making the documentary Broadway, the American musical. The completed production is available on NCOX 2058.
Credits for completed production from pbs.org: A film by Michael Kantor ; produced by Jeff Dupre, Michael Kantor and Sally Rosenthal ; written by Marc Fields, Michael Kantor, Laurence Maslon, and JoAnne Young ; directed by Michael Kantor.
Time code on frame.
Contains various takes, at occasional brief intervals, audio continues without sound.
|Credits:||Cameraman: Mead Hunt.|
|Performer(s):||Interviewer: Michael Kantor. Interviewee: Ben Vereen.|
|Event notes:||Videotaped in New York, N.Y. on February 11, 2003.|
|Description:||2 videocassettes (VHS) (58 min.) : sound, color SP ; 1/2 in.|
|Other Titles:||Broadway, the American musical|
|Responsibility:||[directed by Michael Kantor].|
Discussion resumes with more on O'Horgan, whom Vereen believes was responsible for breaking the "fourth wall," of a Broadway production, in which the cast leaves the stage to move about the theater and interact with the audience; more on what it was like to work with Fosse; the upsurge of vibrant Black productions on Broadway during the 1970s, and the continued need for support of African Americans in the theater; the redevelopment of Times Square; the American musical as a product of a people who have a heartfelt desire to tell their stories in song.
- Vereen, Ben -- Interviews.
- Vereen, Ben -- Friends and associates.
- Vereen, Ben -- Childhood and youth.
- Lloyd Webber, Andrew, -- 1948- -- Jesus Christ superstar.
- O'Horgan, Tom.
- Fosse, Bob, -- 1927-1987.
- Williams, Bert, -- 1874-1922.
- Theater -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Musical theater -- New York (State) -- New York.
- Musical theater -- Production and direction.
- African Americans in the performing arts.
- Actors, Black.
- Racism and the arts.
- Dancers -- Interviews.
- Actors -- Interviews.
- Broadway (New York, N.Y.)
- Vereen, Ben.
- Jesus Christ superstar (Lloyd Webber, Andrew)
- Musical theater.
- New York (State) -- New York.
- New York (State) -- New York -- Broadway.