Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Maria Irene Fornes; Lloyd Richards; Lorraine Hansberry; August Wilson; Maria Irene Fornes; Maria Irene Fornes; Lloyd Richards|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Maria Irene Fornes; Lloyd Richards; Edwin Wilson; City University of New York.
|Notes:||Part of the series, CUNY Spotlight, broadcast on CUNY-TV, sponsored by the City University of New York.|
|Performer(s):||Interviewed by Edwin Wilson.|
|Event notes:||Videotaped by the cable station, CUNY-TV, New York, N.Y., 1990.|
|Description:||1 videocassette (VHS) (112 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.|
|Series Title:||CUNY Spotlight|
|Responsibility:||City University Television, the Center for Advanced Study in Theatre Arts (CASTA) [presents].|
Lloyd Richards talks about his life at Wayne State Univerity in Detroit where he became interested in radio work, and later, acting and directing in New York, his first big break as the director of A raisin in the sun, the Yale University School of Drama's training approach stressing all aspects of theater, meeting August Wilson and directing his play Ma Rainey's black bottom.
Maria Irene Fornes discusses how, with no training in constructing a play, she fell into playwrighting, her work co-founding of the New York Theatre Strategy which brought attention to playwrights by producing their plays Off and Off Off Broadway, the pain and brutality in her own plays reflecting the state of the world, her women characters, and her belief that playwrights should direct their own work.
- Fornes, Maria Irene -- Interviews.
- Richards, Lloyd -- Interviews.
- Wayne State University.
- Hansberry, Lorraine, -- 1930-1965. -- Raisin in the sun.
- Yale School of Drama.
- Wilson, August. -- Ma Rainey's black bottom.
- Acting -- Study and teaching (Higher)
- Theater -- Production and direction -- United States.
- Theatrical producers and directors -- Interviews.
- Dramatists -- Interviews.
- Fornes, Maria Irene -- Sources.
- Women in literature.
- Fornes, Maria Irene.
- Richards, Lloyd.
- Ma Rainey's black bottom (Wilson, August)
- Raisin in the sun (Hansberry, Lorraine)
- Theater -- Production and direction.
- Theatrical producers and directors.
- United States.