|类型/形式：||Criticism, interpretation, etc|
|ISBN:||0192192612 9780192192615 0192892436 9780192892430|
|注意：||"An OPUS book"--P. [i].|
|描述：||viii, 241 p. ; 23 cm.|
|内容：||1. Approaching Children's Literature --
2. History and Histories --
3. The Early History of Children's Literature --
4. Maturity, 1860-1920 --
5. The Long Weekend, 1920-1939 --
6. Equal Terms: 1940 to the Present --
7. Uses and Abuses, Themes and Variations --
8. Conclusion: Stalking the Perfect Children's Book --
A Chronology of Children's Literature.
Children's literature is a remarkable area of writing: it is one of the roots of Western culture, enjoyed passionately by adults as well as children. Its characters - Cinderella, Pooh Bear, Biggles, the Wizard of Oz - are a part of most people's psyche, and form a link not only with childhood, but also with basic myths and archetypes. This book provides a concise history of British children's literature, focusing particularly on the past 130 years. It traces the evolution from moralizing, 'improving' works to books which are more empathetic to the world of the child. But it also demonstrates that the history of children's literature can be approached from several angles - that of the women who predominate among children's writers, of the relationship between children's books and contemporary ideologies, and of the part played by illustrations and illustrators in the development of the genre. Peter Hunt also addresses key questions about the nature of children's literature: what makes it different from adult literature? How is it read by children, and what critical responses can an adult appropriately make? With children's literature becoming a fiercely contested academic and ideological battleground, Peter Hunt's balanced assessment of the terrain will be of value to anyone seeking a reliable introduction to the history and issues involved.
- Children's literature, English -- History and criticism.
- Children -- Books and reading -- Great Britain.
- Children's literature
- Littérature de jeunesse anglaise -- Histoire et critique.
- Enfants -- Livres et lecture -- Grande-Bretagne.
- Children -- Books and reading.
- Children's literature, English.
- Great Britain.