Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Brownstone, David M.
Island of hope, island of tears.
New York : Rawson, Wade Publishers, 1979
|Material Type:||Biography, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
David M Brownstone; Irene M Franck; Douglass L Brownstone
|Description:||xii, 307 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||1. The golden land : The immigrants ; Gold and freedom ; The journey ; Ellis island ; The closing door --
2. Meet you in America : Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness ; Out of the older world ; Once upon a time ; Making the move ; Crossing the border ; I'll be back --
3. The shadow of war : The lines were forming ; In the midst of war ; Where is my father? ; Aftermath of war ; Waiting for a number ; The dream still alive --
4. Voyage to the golden door : At the ports ; Breathing space ; Boarding problems ; Storm-tossed waters ; Steerage ; Child's play ; Great expectations ; The lady with the torch --
5. The island of hope and tears : The place ; Passing through ; There he is! ; But those cages! ; The doctors had tricks ; There's a man goin' 'round changing names ; Plenty to eat! ; Brought from home ; How much money you got? ; Reunion --
6. Problems at the door : A diabolical arrangement ; Eyes red from crying ; Going before the board ; Women alone ; Angels of mercy ; I became a jailer --
7. Into the new world : The kindness of strangers ; You'll never see your brother no more ; The trains run on rooftops! ; Period of adjustment ; I've been working on the railroad ; Orphans of the storm --
8. Reflections on the old world and the new : What would have happened? ; They could never have sent me back ; I am happy here.
|Responsibility:||David M. Brownstone, Irene M. Franck, Douglass L. Brownstone.|