|提及的人：||John Jacob Astor; William B Astor; Lewis Cass; Henry Clay; Nathaniel Pitcher Tallmadge; Daniel Webster; James Wilson; Austin Eli Wing; William Woodbridge|
James Duane Doty
|描述：||1.2 c.f. (4 archives boxes and 1 oversize folder) and 4 reels of microfilm (35mm)|
Papers of James Doty, an early leader in public life in Wisconsin, touching on his work as territorial judge, delegate, governor, and congressional delegate, and on his land speculations and numerous other promotional activities. Included are original papers and transcribed, microfilmed, and photostats of papers held by other institutions that were used by Alice E. Smith for her research on Doty. Original papers include correspondence and letterbooks, judicial records, journals, and notes. The letterbooks primarily cover the period 1822-1829, and primarily concern Indian affairs. There are transcriptions for most items. The loose correspondence primarily dates from the years 1839-1844, when Doty was the governor and territorial delegate. There are references to road building, the establishment of Wisconsin's territorial government and boundaries, the Menominee treaty of 1832, and immigration to the state. Among these letters are several from John Jacob Astor, William B. Astor, Lewis Cass, Henry Clay, Nathanial P. Tallmadge, Daniel Webster, James Wilson, Austin E. Wing, and William Woodbridge. Judicial records document decisions on cases heard before him in Wisconsin as an additional judge of the U.S. Circuit Court (Michigan Territory). A handwritten journal documents Doty's 1820 trip to the upper Mississippi with Lewis Cass and Henry Schoolcraft. There are also notes and notebooks about other frontier travels, 1818-1822, Indian languages and culture, and the establishment of Wisconsin's boundaries. The collection includes the articles of incorporation of the Fond du Lac Company, an 1837 Wisconsin imprint. A few papers pertain to Doty's sons, Charles and James, and his daughter, Mary Doty Fitzgerald.
- Astor, John Jacob, -- 1822-1890.
- Astor, William B. -- (William Backhouse), -- 1792-1875.
- Cass, Lewis, -- 1816-1899.
- Clay, Henry, -- 1883-1954.
- Tallmadge, Nathaniel Pitcher, -- 1795-1864.
- Webster, Daniel, -- 1782-1852.
- Wilson, James, -- 1797-1881.
- Wing, Austin Eli, -- 1792-1849.
- Woodbridge, William, -- 1780-1861.
- Wisconsin. -- Circuit Court (Brown County)
- Wisconsin. -- Governor (1841-1844 : Doty)
- Governors -- Utah.
- Indians of North America -- Wisconsin.
- Judges -- Wisconsin -- Green Bay.
- Legislators -- United States.
- Menominee Indians.
- Pioneers -- Wisconsin.
- Real estate investment -- Wisconsin.
- Michigan -- Description and travel.
- Wisconsin -- Description and travel.
- Wisconsin -- Politics and government.