Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Named Person:||Alexander Boyd Andrews; Graham Hudson Anthony; Thomas Barbour; Thomas Hart Benton; Albert Coates; James Bryant Conant; Frank Porter Graham; Joseph Grégoire de Roulhac Hamilton; Paul H Hanus; Archibald Henderson; Thomas F Hickerson; R B House; Walter Lippmann; Cornelia Spencer Love; Love family.; James Spencer Love; James Lee Love; Julia Spencer Love; Robert Calvin Grier Love; Laura Battle Phillips; Cornelia Phillips Spencer; Samuel Bryant Turrentine; Stephen Samuel Wise|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
James Lee Love
|Notes:||In the Southern Historical Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (#4139).|
|Description:||About 1900 items (3.5 linear feet).|
The collection consists of correspondence and other papers related to Love's association with the University of North Carolina, the North Carolina textile industry, including the Gastonia Cotton Manufacturing Company and Burlington Mills, and many philanthropies. Correspondents include Alexander Boyd Andrews, Graham Hudson Anthony, Thomas Barbour, Thomas Hart Benton, Albert Coates, James Bryant Conant, Frank Porter Graham, J. G. de Roulhac Hamilton, Paul H. Hanus, Archibald Henderson, Thomas Felix Henderson, Robert Burton House, Walter Lippman, James Spencer Love, William DeBerniere McNider, Rabbi Stephen Wise, and Samuel Bryant Turrentine. Also included are papers of James Lee Love's father, Robert Calvin Grier Love, and son, James Spencer Love, both textile executives; detailed memoirs of J. L. Love's childhood in Gaston County, N.C., and of his academic career at the University of North Carolina and Harvard, especially his connection with the Lawrence Scientific School; and a framed oil portrait of him by Phillip H. Giddens. An addition to the collection consists mainly of correspondence between J. L. Love and his first wife, June Spencer Love (died 1920) and their children, including Cornelia (born 1892) and James Spencer, concerning family, career, and academic matters. These letters date mostly from the summers of 1892, 1893 and 1911. Other letters are from various family members, particularly Cornelia P. Spencer and Laura Battle Phillips. Also included are volumes and pictures.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Andrews, Alexander Boyd, -- 1873-1946.
- Anthony, Graham Hudson.
- Barbour, Thomas, -- 1884-1946.
- Benton, Thomas Hart, -- 1889-1975.
- Burlington Mills Corporation.
- Coates, Albert, -- 1896-1989.
- Conant, James Bryant, -- 1893-1978.
- Families -- North Carolina -- Social life and customs.
- Gaston County (N.C.) -- Social life and customs.
- Gastonia Cotton Manufacturing Company, Inc.
- Graham, Frank Porter, -- 1886-1972.
- Hamilton, Joseph Grégoire de Roulhac, -- 1878-1961.
- Hanus, Paul H. -- (Paul Henry), -- 1855-1941.
- Harvard University -- History -- 19th century.
- Henderson, Archibald, -- 1877-1963.
- Hickerson, Thomas F. -- (Thomas Felix), -- 1882-1968.
- House, R. B. -- (Robert Burton), -- 1892-1987.
- Lawrence Scientific School.
- Lippmann, Walter, -- 1889-1974.
- Love, Cornelia Spencer, -- 1892-1981.
- Love family.
- Love, James Spencer, -- 1896-1962.
- Love, James Lee, -- 1860-1950.
- Love, Julia Spencer, -- b. 1859.
- Love, Robert Calvin Grier, -- 1840-1907.
- Phillips, Laura Battle, -- 1824-1919.
- Spencer, Cornelia Phillips, -- 1825-1908.
- Textile industry -- North Carolina -- History.
- Turrentine, Samuel Bryant, -- b. 1861.
- University of North Carolina (1793-1962) -- History -- 19th century.
- Wise, Stephen Samuel, -- 1874-1949.