Lynne V Cheney
|描述：||x, 564 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm|
Sunlight and shadows --
Season of discontent --
Great men --
A rope of sand --
Love and other resources of happiness --
The great work begins --
If men were angels --
Setting the machine in motion --
The Earth belongs to the living --
The spirit of party --
Reign of witches --
The revolution of 1800 --
Mr. President --
A friend of true liberty --
Trial by fire --
The sage of Montpelier --
"This majestic new biography of James Madison explores the astonishing story of a man of vaunted modesty who audaciously changed the world. Among the Founding Fathers, Madison was a true genius of the early republic. Outwardly reserved, Madison was the intellectual driving force behind the Constitution and crucial to its ratification. His visionary political philosophy and rationale for the union of states--so eloquently presented in The Federalist papers--helped shape the country Americans live in today. Along with Thomas Jefferson, Madison would found the first political party in the country's history--the Democratic Republicans. As Jefferson's secretary of state, he managed the Louisiana Purchase, doubling the size of the United States. As president, Madison led the country in its first war under the Constitution, the War of 1812. Without precedent to guide him, he would demonstrate that a republic could defend its honor and independence--and remain a republic still"--
- Madison, James, -- 1751-1836.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1809-1817.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1789-1815.
- Presidents -- United States -- Biography.
- Statesmen -- United States -- Biography.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY / Presidents & Heads of State.
- HISTORY / United States / 19th Century.
- HISTORY / United States / General.