Browne, Stephen H.
Jefferson's call for nationhood.
College Station : Texas A & M University Press, ©2003
|提及的人：||Thomas Jefferson; Thomas Jefferson; Thomas Jefferson; Thomas Jefferson; Thomas Jefferson; Thomas Jefferson|
|材料类型：||文献, 政府刊物, 州政府或者省政府刊物, 互联网资源|
Stephen H Browne
|ISBN:||1585448788 9781585448784 9781603446778 160344677X|
|描述：||1 online resource (xvii, 155 pages) : illustrations.|
|详述：||Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002.|
|内容：||"Brethren of the same principle": the first inaugural address and the language of party --
"The strongest government on earth": the first inaugural address as political theory --
"The circle of our felicities": rhetorical dimensions of the first inaugural address.
|丛书名：||Library of presidential rhetoric.|
|责任：||Stephen Howard Browne.|
"Widely celebrated in its own time, Thomas Jeferson's first inaugural address commands the regard of Americans from across the political spectrum as one of the great statements of the nation's libertarian tradition. Delivered as the young nation found itself embroiled in bitter partisan struggles, the speech has been hailed as the Sermon on the Mount of good government." "Curiously, this masterpiece of republican rhetoric - the full text of which is reproduced in this volume - has never received sustained analysis. Stephen Howard Browne describes the speech's origins, composition, meaning, and delivery. Browne's study explores how Jefferson's language and careful invocation of national symbols helped shape the cultural and political life of the period." "Through his careful and compelling analysis, Browne sheds new light not only on Jefferson's first inaugural address but on Jefferson himself, offering important insights to readers interested in the early years of the American nation. His well-crafted argument and accessible prose offer a model of analysis for rhetorical scholars and students alike."--Jacket.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1801-1809.
- Jefferson, Thomas, -- 1743-1826 -- Political and social views.
- Jefferson, Thomas, -- 1743-1826 -- Language.
- Jefferson, Thomas, -- 1743-1826 -- Oratory.
- Presidents -- United States -- Inaugural addresses.
- Rhetoric -- Political aspects -- United States -- History -- 18th century.
- Discourse analysis -- United States.
- Jefferson, Thomas, -- 1743-1826.
- Presidents -- United States.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE -- Political Process -- Leadership.
- Jefferson, Thomas, -- (1743-1826) -- Pensée politique et sociale.
- États-Unis -- Politique et gouvernement -- 1783-1865.
- Jefferson, Thomas.