Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Lipset, Seymour Martin.
Jews and the new American scene.
Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press, 1995
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Seymour Martin Lipset; Earl Raab
|Description:||viii, 239 p. ; 25 cm.|
|Contents:||An old people in a new land --
The promise of double freedom --
The downside of exceptionalism --
The riddle of the defensive Jew --
Israel, the X-factor --
Still on the left --
The fragile remnants.
|Responsibility:||Seymour Martin Lipset and Earl Raab.|
The authors vividly illustrate this paradox as it is experienced by American Jews today - in their high rates of intermarriage, their waning observance of religious rites, their extraordinary academic and professional success, their commitment to liberalism in domestic politics, and their steadfast defense of Israel. Yet Jews view these trends with a sense of foreboding: "We feel very comfortable in America - but anti-Semitism is a serious problem"; "We would be desolate if Israel were lost - but we don't feel as close to that country as we used to"; "More of our youth are seeking some serious form of Jewish affirmation and involvement but more of them are slipping away from Jewish life." These are the contradictions tormenting American Jews as they struggle anew with the never-dying problem of Jewish continuity.
A graceful and immensely readable work, Jews and the New American Scene provides a remarkable range of scholarship, anecdote, and statistical research - the clearest, most up-to-date account available of the dilemma facing American Jews in their third century of citizenship.
- Jews -- United States -- Identity.
- Jews -- United States -- Social conditions.
- Jews -- United States -- Politics and government.
- United States -- Ethnic relations.
- Culturele identiteit.
- Juifs -- États-Unis -- Conditions sociales.
- Juifs -- États-Unis -- Identité collective.
- États-Unis -- Relations interethniques.
- Juifs - États-Unis - Conditions sociales.
- Juifs - États-Unis - Identité collective.
- États-Unis - Relations interethniques.
- Ethnic relations.
- Jews -- Identity.
- Jews -- Politics and government.
- Jews -- Social conditions.
- United States.