Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Ramses, King of Egypt.; Hadrian, Emperor of Rome; Hadrian, Emperor of Rome; Ramses, King of Egypt.|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Joseph Modrzejewski; Mazal Holocaust Collection.
|Description:||xxii, 279 pages : illustrations, maps ; 26 cm|
|Contents:||Foreword / Shaye J.D. Cohen --
1. Biblical Egypt. Joseph and His Brothers. Moses and the Pharaoh. The Desert Road --
2. The Stronghold of Elephantine. A Judean Colony in Egypt. Mibtahiah and Her Husbands: A Family of Note during the Reign of Artaxerxes I. "God of Heaven" and God of the Floods --
3. Alexandrian Judaism and Its Problems. Alexander and the Jews. Can One Be Both Jewish and Greek? A Love Story --
4. A New Diaspora. Among the "Hellenes" Soldiers of the Ptolemies. "God the Most High" and "Splendor of Israel" --
5. A Law for the Jews of Egypt. The Greek Torah and the Demotic Case Book. The Law of Moses and the Justice of the King. "The Law of the Land Is Law" --
6. A Jewish Temple in Ptolemaic Egypt. The Echoes of the Maccabean Crisis. "An Altar of the Lord in the Midst of the Land of Egypt" Images of the "Land of Onias" --
7. At the Wellsprings of Pagan Anti-Semitism. Modern Fantasies and Ancient Myths. The Miracle at the Hippodrome. "They Loathe the Jews" --
8. The "Jewish Question" in Alexandria. The Decline. The Vile Deeds of Flaccus the Prefect. Jews, Alexandrians, and Claudius the Emperor --
9. The Time of Misfortunes. The Service Record of a Brilliant Alexandrian. A Miracle in Rome. "A Spirit of Rebellion" --
10. The Remembrance. Who Destroyed the Great Synagogue of Alexandria? "Jewish Tax," "Jewish Accounts": The Tale of the Imperial Tax Records. A Day of Rejoicings in Oxyrhynchos.
|Other Titles:||Juifs d'Égypte.|
|Responsibility:||Joseph Mélèze Modrzejewski ; translated by Robert Cornman ; with a forword by Shaye J.D. Cohen.|