Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||John James Abert; Pierre Chouteau; John Charles Frémont; J N Nicollet; Joel Roberts Poinsett|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Book|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
J N Nicollet; John James Abert; John Charles Frémont
|Language Note:||Chiefly in English; letter draft written by Nicollet and brief sections of other letters are in French.|
Other letters from Abert relate to purchase by the United States government of data from Nicollet's exploration of the sources of the Mississippi River in 1837-1838; a draft, signed, written by Nicollet describing this expedition, including his observations on relations between settlers and Dakota and Ojibwa Indians; and two ALS from Frémont to Nicollet regarding arrangements for a second expedition in 1839. Frémont also discusses his family life and asks for Nicollet's advice regarding breaking of a marriage engagement. Both Frémont and Abert briefly refer to financial support from Pierre Chouteau Jr. and Company for a second expedition.
- Abert, John James, -- 1788-1863.
- Chouteau, Pierre, -- 1789-1865.
- Frémont, John Charles, -- 1813-1890.
- Nicollet, J. N. -- (Joseph Nicolas), -- 1786-1843.
- Poinsett, Joel Roberts, -- 1779-1851.
- Pierre Chouteau Jr. & Company.
- United States. -- Army. -- Corps of Topographical Engineers.
- United States. -- Topographical Bureau.
- Mississippi River Valley -- Discovery and exploration.
- Northwestern States -- Discovery and exploration.
- Dakota Indians.
- Ojibwa Indians.