온라인으로 문서 찾기
이 항목에 대한 링크
도서관에서 사본 찾기
해당항목을 보유하고 있는 도서관을 찾는 중
|명시된 사람:||John Gay; John Gay; John Gay; John Gay; John (Schriftsteller) Gay|
|자료 유형:||인터넷 자료|
|문서 형식:||책, 인터넷 자원|
|모든 저자 / 참여자:||
|설명:||xvi, 212 pages ; 23 cm|
|내용:||Apprenticeship-A prelude --
The Mohocks --
Chaucer in Augustan England --
Words and music --
False Starts --
The beggar and his Opera --
The Beggar's Opera in theatre history --
The Opera as work of art --
Polly and the censors --
But John Gay's place in all this has not been well defined. His Opera is often regarded as some sort of chance event. In John Gay and the London Theatre, the first book-length study of John Gay as dramatic author, Calhoun Winton recognizes the Opera as part of an entirely self-conscious career in the theatre, a career that Gay pursued from his earliest days as a writer in London and continued to follow to his death. Winton emphasizes Gay's knowledge of and affection for music, acquired, he argues, by way of his association with Handel. Although concentrating on Gay and his theatrical career, Winton also limns a vivid portrait of London itself and of the London stage of Gay's time, a period of considerable turbulence both within and outside the theatre. Gay's plays reflect in varying ways and degrees that social, political, and cultural turmoil. Winton's study sheds new light not only on Gay and the theatre but also on the politics and culture of his era.
"Winton is a meticulous scholar. His book will be of real value as an introduction for those unfamiliar with Gay's drama and the London stage of the period." -- "Reviews in English Studies"
- Gay, John, -- 1685-1732. -- Beggar's opera.
- Gay, John, -- 1685-1732 -- Stage history -- England -- London.
- Theater -- England -- London -- History -- 18th century.
- Brigands and robbers in literature.
- The Beggar's opera (Gay)
- Gay, John, -- 1685-1732.
- Gay, John (Schriftsteller). -- Beggar's opera.
- Geschichte (1728-1733)
- Geschichte (1700-1733)
- Brigands and robbers in literature
- Gay, -- 1685-1732 -- Beggar's opera
- Gay, -- 1685-1732 -- Stage -- England -- London
- Gay, John -- 1685-1732 -- Beggar's opera
- Gay, John -- 1685-1732 -- Stage history -- England -- London
- Geschichte -- 1728-1733
- Theater -- England -- London -- History -- 18th century