도서관에서 사본 찾기
해당항목을 보유하고 있는 도서관을 찾는 중
|명시된 사람:||J W Babcock; S S Barney; Sherman M Booth; Matthew H Carpenter; Paul D Carpenter; William D Connor; L T Crabtree; Lydia D Hewitt Ely; John J Esch; Frank Abial Flower; Zona Gale; H P Hall; W D Hoard; Timothy O Howe; John J Jenkins; Amherst W Kellogg; Charles King; John Thomas Lee; Francis E McGovern; Theobald Otjen; George H Paul; George W Peck; Emanuel L Philipp; John G Pyle; Reinhardt Rahr; Horatio Seymour; John Sherman; John C Spooner; William H Stafford; W R Taylor; Alexander McDonald Thomson; Gaetano Trentanove; Peter Van Vechten; C C Washburn; Amos Parker Wilder|
|문서 형식:||아카이브 자료|
|모든 저자 / 참여자:||
John Goadby Gregory; William E Cramer; John Gregory, C.E.; Esau Johnson
|설명:||1.6 cubic feet (4 archives boxes) and 1 photograph (1 folder)|
|더 많은 정보:|
Gregory's own correspondence reflects the many facets of his long career. Throughout the collection are letters from prominent Milwaukeeans requesting publicity, thanking him for newspaper notices, or mentioning social matters. Among these correspondents are Sherman M. Booth, Paul D. Carpenter, George H. Paul, and George W. Peck. Many letters, sometimes accompanied by programs and reports, concern Gregory's activities in social, professional, and cultural organizations. As a founder of the Parkman Club to further research and writing of the history of the Old Northwest, Gregory corresponded with bibliophile John Thomas Lee. From 1893 to 1923 Gregory received letters on literary work and publications from Milwaukee novelist General Charles King. Among other authors, historians, and publishers represented by one or more letters are Frank Flower, Zona Gale, Harlan Hall, John G. Pyle, Peter Van Vechten, and Amos P. Wilder.
Although he never held office, Gregory was active in local and state politics and served from 1894 to 1904 as a member of the Milwaukee County Republican Committee. In the early 1900s there are several letters from local Stalwart leaders William D. Connor, L.T. Crabtree, and Reinhardt Rahr, discussing anti-La Follette measures. Among the prominent state and national political figures writing to Gregory, Cramer, or Thompson were congressmen Joseph W. Babcock, S.S. Barney, Victor L. Berger, John J. Esch, John Jenkins, Theobald Otjen, and William H. Stafford; United States senators Matthew Hale Carpenter, Timothy O. Howe, John Sherman, and John C. Spooner; Wisconsin governors William Dempster Hoard, Francis E. McGovern, George W. Peck, William R. Taylor, and Cadwallader C. Washburn; and New York governor Horatio Seymour.
After his retirement Gregory devoted more time to his interest in local history. After 1925 his correspondence is concerned mainly with the writing and preparation of materials, the methods employed by a county historian in securing biographical materials, and relationships with publishers. The collection includes some manuscripts of Gregory's writings: an autobiographical sketch, a biographical sketch of Amherst Willoughby Kellogg, and notes and other papers used in the preparation of a biography of Emanuel L. Philipp. Also found in the collection are the memoirs of Esau Johnson, a pioneer in the Wisconsin lead mining region.
- Babcock, J. W. -- (Joseph Weeks), -- 1850-1909.
- Barney, S. S. -- (Samuel Stebbins), -- 1846-1919.
- Booth, Sherman M., -- 1812-1904.
- Carpenter, Matthew H. -- (Matthew Hale), -- 1824-1881.
- Carpenter, Paul D., -- 1867-1932.
- Connor, William D., -- 1864-1944.
- Crabtree, L. T.
- Ely, Lydia D. Hewitt, -- 1840-1914.
- Esch, John J. -- (John Jacob), -- 1861-1941.
- Flower, Frank Abial, -- 1854-1911.
- Gale, Zona, -- 1874-1938.
- Hall, H. P. -- (Harlan Page), -- 1838-1907.
- Hoard, W. D. -- (William Dempster), -- 1836-1918.
- Howe, Timothy O. -- (Timothy Otis), -- 1816-1883.
- Jenkins, John J., -- 1843-1911.
- Kellogg, Amherst W., -- 1829-1923.
- King, Charles, -- 1844-1933.
- Lee, John Thomas.
- McGovern, Francis E. -- (Francis Edward), -- 1866-1946.
- Otjen, Theobald, -- 1851-1924.
- Paul, George H., -- 1826-1890.
- Peck, George W. -- (George Wilbur), -- 1840-1916.
- Philipp, Emanuel L. -- (Emanuel Lorenz), -- 1861-1925.
- Pyle, John G.
- Rahr, Reinhardt, -- 1859-1921.
- Seymour, Horatio, -- 1778-1857.
- Sherman, John, -- 1823-1900.
- Spooner, John C. -- (John Coit), -- 1843-1919.
- Stafford, William H., -- 1855-1939.
- Taylor, W. R. -- (William Robert), -- 1820-1909.
- Thomson, Alexander McDonald, -- 1822-1898.
- Trentanove, Gaetano, -- 1858-1937.
- Van Vechten, Peter, -- 1827-1913.
- Washburn, C. C. -- (Cadwallader Colden), -- 1818-1882.
- Wilder, Amos Parker, -- b. 1862.
- Republican Party (Wis.)
- Evening Wisconsin.
- American newspapers -- Wisconsin -- Milwaukee.
- Journalists -- Wisconsin -- Milwaukee.
- Local history.
- Milwaukee (Wis.)
- Milwaukee (Wis.) -- Politics and government.
- Wisconsin -- Politics and government.