|提及的人：||John Winthrop; John Winthrop; John Winthrop; John (Kolonisator Winthrop|
Francis J Bremer
|描述：||xviii, 478 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
Lavenham to London --
John and Adam --
Turning points --
A Godly magistrate --
The Godly embattled --
The decision to migrate --
Christian charity --
Passing through hell --
The best of them Was But an Attorney --
Relations with England --
On the Fringe --
Struggling to hold the center --
New trials and disappointments --
War clouds and concerns --
Under attack --
|责任：||Francis J. Bremer.|
This volume is a biography of John Winthrop. Winthrop (1588-1649) obtained a royal charter, along with other wealthy Puritans, from King Charles I for the Massachusetts Bay Company and led a group of English Puritans to the New World in 1630. The author chronicles Winthrop's early life, showing how his first four decades in England shaped his views and actions as the first governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The author focuses on Winthrop's youthful spiritual struggles, carefully recorded in a journal, including his early decision to pursue a religious vocation and his sudden, unexplained decision to give that up to marry his first wife when he was only 17. After he gained the respect of his peers as an even-handed magistrate, he was elected governor of the new Massachusetts Bay Colony, where for eight years he governed with a judicious hand, mediating in religious and political feuds, including the expulsions of Roger Williams and Anne Hutchinson for their dissenting views. The author uses previously unavailable materials in the Winthrop archives to vividly recreate the religious and political reform movements in early 17th-century England.
- Winthrop, John, -- 1588-1649.
- Governors -- Massachusetts -- Biography.
- Puritans -- Massachusetts -- Biography.
- Massachusetts -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- Puritans -- Massachusetts -- History -- 17th century.
- Great Britain -- History -- Tudors, 1485-1603.
- Great Britain -- History -- Early Stuarts, 1603-1649.
- England -- Church history -- 16th century.
- England -- Church history -- 17th century.
- Gouverneurs -- Massachusetts -- Biographies.
- Puritains -- Massachusetts -- Biographies.
- Puritains -- Massachusetts -- Histoire -- 17e siècle.
- Massachusetts -- Histoire -- ca 1600-1775 (Période coloniale)
- Grande-Bretagne -- Histoire -- 1485-1603 (Tudors)
- Grande-Bretagne -- Histoire -- 1603-1649 (Premiers Stuarts)
- Angleterre -- Histoire religieuse -- 16e siècle.
- Angleterre -- Histoire religieuse -- 17e siècle.
- Winthrop, John, -- 1588-1649
- Great Britain.
- Winthrop, John (Kolonisator, -- 1588-1649)