Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Cartoons (humorous images)
|Named Person:||Udo J Keppler; Frederick Burr Opper; Art Young; Kepler family.; James Gillespie Blaine; Grover Cleveland; Ulysses S Grant; Benjamin Harrison|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Original artwork|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Joseph Ferdinand Keppler
|Notes:||The Manuscripts Dept. of The New-York Historical Society has papers of both Keppler Sr. and Jr. The Department of Paintings, Sculpture, and Decorative Arts has non-cartoon drawings and paintings by both men, the elder Keppler's death mask, and other material.|
|Description:||ca. 350 prints : mostly chromolithograph. ca. 80 drawings. ca. 50 photographic prints.|
Keppler's satirical cartoons ridiculed Ulysses S. Grant, James G. Blaine, Benjamin Harrison, Tammany Hall Democrats, the tariff, Prohibition, radical labor unions, and the Catholic Church, among other topics. He supported Grover Cleveland, civil service reform, and open immigration. His son joined the staff of "Puck" in 1891 and contributed as a cartoonist until the early 1910s when he sold the magazine. Several hundred chromolithograph proofs or tear sheets are for cartoons in "Puck". There are also some cartoons from "Leslie's" and other magazines; ca. 80 cartoon drawings by Keppler, Sr. and Jr., Frederick B. Opper, and Art Young; "Puck" imitations; portrait photographs of Keppler family members and friends; and programs from Keppler Sr.'s theatrical career in the 1860s-1870s.
- Keppler, Udo J., -- 1872-1956.
- Opper, Frederick Burr, -- 1857-1937.
- Young, Art, -- 1866-1943.
- Kepler family.
- Blaine, James Gillespie, -- 1830-1893 -- Humor.
- Cleveland, Grover, -- 1837-1908 -- Humor.
- Grant, Ulysses S. -- (Ulysses Simpson), -- 1822-1885 -- Humor.
- Harrison, Benjamin, -- 1833-1901 -- Humor.
- Catholic Church -- Humor.
- Tammany Hall -- Humor.
- Puck (English edition)
- Frank Leslie's illustrated newspaper.
- Caricatures and cartoons -- United States.
- Tariff -- United States -- Humor.
- Prohibition -- United States -- Humor.
- Labor unions -- United States -- Humor.
- Civil service reform -- United States -- Humor.
- United States -- Emigration and immigration -- Government policy -- Humor.