Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Josephus Daniels; Josephus Daniels|
|Material Type:||Biography, Government publication, State or province government publication|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Lee A Craig
|Description:||xvii, 474 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm|
|Contents:||The loveliest village of the plain --
A member of the fourth estate --
Center stage --
A nuisance and disturber --
Spendid little wars --
The great war --
To the bitter end --
|Responsibility:||Lee A. Craig.|
"As a longtime leader of the Democratic Party and key member of Woodrow Wilson's cabinet, Josephus Daniels was one of the most influential progressive politicians in the country, and as secretary of the navy during the First World War, he became one of the most important men in the world. Before that, Daniels revolutionized the newspaper industry in the South, forever changing the relationship between politics and the news media. Lee A. Craig, an expert on economic history, delves into Daniels's extensive archive to inform this nuanced and eminently readable biography, following Daniels's rise to power in North Carolina and chronicling his influence on twentieth-century politics"--
There have been several biographies of Daniels. . . [but] none of them do as thorough a job as Craig. . . . Provides a fascinating glimpse into the mind and actions of a truly American newspaper
- Daniels, Josephus, -- 1862-1948.
- Cabinet officers -- United States -- Biography.
- Ambassadors -- United States -- Biography.
- United States. -- Department of the Navy -- Biography.
- Press and politics -- United States -- History.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1901-1953.
- Publishers and publishing -- North Carolina -- Biography.
- Newspaper publishing -- North Carolina -- History.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY -- Political.
- HISTORY -- United States -- State & Local -- South (AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV)
- United States. -- Department of the Navy.
- Cabinet officers.
- Newspaper publishing.
- Politics and government
- Press and politics.
- Publishers and publishing.
- North Carolina.
- United States.