Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Katharine Cornell; Guthrie McClintic; Brian Aherne; Ethel Barrymore; Constance Collier; Noel Coward; José Ferrer; Lynn Fontanne; John Gielgud; Ruth Gordon; Nancy Hamilton; Helen Hayes; Vivien Leigh; Alfred Lunt; Gertrude Macy; Laurette Taylor; Sybil Thorndike, Dame; Tennessee Williams|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Katharine Cornell; Rudolf Besier; Bernard Shaw
|Description:||202 linear feet (257 boxes)|
This collection includes material from as early as 1801 and as late and 1983, but the bulk of the material is from between 1921 and 1974. This collection includes business and personal correspondence to and from Katharine Cornell, Gertrude Macy, Nancy Hamilton and Guthrie McClintic, including correspondence with famous friends and colleagues, such as Brian Aherne, Ethel Barrymore, Constance Collier, Noel Coward, Edith Evans, Jose Ferrer, Lynn Fontanne, John Gielgud, Ruth Gordon, Helen Hayes, Vivien Leigh, Alfred Lunt, Marian Seldes, Laurette Taylor, Sybil Thorndike and Tennessee Williams. This collection also includes personal items, such as artwork, awards, honorary degrees, legal documents, personal business files, publicity materials and writings by and about Cornell and McClintic, including each of their autobiographies. This collection contains scripts and programs for plays, concerts, dance performances, events, exhibitions, musicals, operas, plays, tributes and vaudeville shows, in which Cornell and McClintic were not involved. The strength of this collection is the detailed documentation of the many productions which starred, were directed or produced by Cornell or McClintic. These productions are represented in this collection though scrapbooks of clippings, photographs and production materials, such as contracts, correspondence, scripts, programs, financial records, publicity materials, and files pertaining to technical aspects of productions. The productions covered in this collection include The Age of Innocence, Alien Corn, Antigone, Anthony and Cleopatra, The Barretts of Wimpole Street, Bernadine, Candida, Captain Carvallo, Come of Age, The Constant Wife, The Dark is Light Enough, Dear Liar, Dishonored Lady, The Doctor's Dilemma, The Dover Road, The Firstborn, Flowers of the Forest, The Green Hat, Hamlet, High Tor, How to Get Tough About It, I am a Camera, Jezebel, The Lady Who Came to Stay, The Letter, The Male Animal, Mamba's Daughters, Medea, Missouri Legend, Mrs. Partridge Presents, Mrs. Patterson, The Prescott Proposals, No Time for Comedy, Romeo and Juliet, A Roomful of Roses, Rose Burke, Saint Joan, Spring Again, The Star Wagon, That Lady, The Three Sisters, The Truth About Plays, The Velvet Glove, Wild December, The Wingless Victory, Winterset, Yellow Jack and You Touched Me.
- Cornell, Katharine, -- 1893-1974.
- McClintic, Guthrie, -- 1893-1961.
- Aherne, Brian -- Correspondence.
- Barrymore, Ethel, -- 1879-1959 -- Correspondence.
- Collier, Constance, -- 1878-1955 -- Correspondence.
- Coward, Noel, -- 1899-1973 -- Correspondence.
- Ferrer, José, -- 1912-1992 -- Correspondence.
- Fontanne, Lynn -- Correspondence.
- Gielgud, John, -- 1904-2000 -- Correspondence.
- Gordon, Ruth, -- 1896-1985 -- Correspondence.
- Hamilton, Nancy, -- 1908-1985 -- Correspondence.
- Hayes, Helen, -- 1900-1993 -- Correspondence.
- Leigh, Vivien, -- 1913-1967 -- Correspondence.
- Lunt, Alfred -- Correspondence.
- Macy, Gertrude -- Correspondence.
- Taylor, Laurette, -- 1884-1946 -- Correspondence.
- Thorndike, Sybil, -- Dame, -- 1882-1976 -- Correspondence.
- Williams, Tennessee, -- 1911-1983 -- Correspondence.
- Actresses -- United States.
- Theatrical producers and directors -- United States.
- Theater -- New York (State) -- New York -- History -- 20th century.