|提及的人：||Katherine Anne Porter; Katherine Anne Porter; Katherine Anne Porter; Katherine Anne Porter|
|材料类型：||传记, 政府刊物, 州政府或者省政府刊物|
Janis P Stout
|描述：||xviii, 381 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.|
|内容：||1. A Career as Big as Texas --
2. Establishing an Identity --
3. Politics and Art in the Radical Twenties --
4. The Harvest of Mexico --
5. "between two wars in a falling world" --
6. Among the Agrarians --
7. From Radical to Moderate: Pulling Back to the Center --
8. The Issue of Gender --
9. Ship of Fools and the Problem of Genre --
10. Porter as Reader and as Critic --
11. Artistry and Achievement --
12. "a free, intransigent, dissenting mind"
|丛书名：||Minds of the new South.|
|责任：||Janis P. Stout.|
Katherine Anne Porter's life closely paralleled that of her century not only in its span (1890-1980) but in its interests and contradictions. A communist sympathizer who became a quasi fascist; a cosmopolitan who embraced southern agrarianism, a femme fatale whose writings nonetheless evince feminist feeling, Porter embodied, often at their extremes, the major currents of her time and ours. In this new biography Janis P. Stout argues that these inconsistencies can be viewed as part and parcel of modernism itself. Drawing on Porter's rich and voluminous correspondence as well as published works, Stout here sets out to craft an intellectual biography of a woman who, by her own admission, was "not really an intellectual." Stout reveals the extent of Porter's involvement in events of public significance and her interactions with prominent figures, from President Alvaro Obregon of Mexico in 1920 to Hermann Goering in Berlin in 1931, to Robert Penn Warren, Eudora Welty, Allen Tate, and others in the 1930s and 1940s, to members of the Lyndon Johnson White House in the 1960s. Against the backdrop of world war and cold war, Porter's conflicting views on politics, race, religion, and feminism reflected Porter's ambivalence toward her own Texas roots.
- Porter, Katherine Anne, -- 1890-1980.
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Women and literature -- Southern States -- History -- 20th century.
- Southern States -- In literature.
- English fiction
- United States
- Écrivaines américaines -- 20e siècle -- Biographies.
- Femmes et littérature -- États-Unis (Sud) -- Histoire -- 20e siècle.
- États-Unis (Sud) dans la littérature.
- Porter, Katherine Anne
- Porter, Katherine Anne -- (1890-1980) -- Critique et interprétation.
- Femmes et littérature -- États-Unis -- 20e siècle.
- Women authors, American -- 20th century -- Biography.