Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Smith, Angela, 1941-
Katherine Mansfield and Virginia Woolf.
Oxford : Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1999
|Named Person:||Katherine Mansfield; Virginia Woolf; Katherine Mansfield; Virginia Woolf|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780191588556 0191588555 0585364397 9780585364391|
|Description:||1 online resource (ix, 238 p.)|
|Contents:||Liminal experience --
A common certain understanding --
Sense of echo --
Shift in 'prelude' and To the lighthouse --
Early writings and rites of passage --
A single day: 'At the bay' and Mrs Dalloway --
Vertigo in 'The daughters of late colonel' and Jacob's room --
"Long after Katherine Mansfield's death, Virginia Woolf described being haunted by her in dreams. The focus of Smith's book is the intense affinity this reveals between the writers. It is explored through their shared experience of being 'threshold people', familiar with the liminal, for each of them a zone both of transition and of habitation. Mansfield's and Woolf's fiction is characterized by moments of disorientating suspension in which the perceiving consciousness sees the familiar made strange, the domestic made menacing. Through detailed comparative readings, Smith shows that boundaries are also crossed or blurred in the form of the fiction. Woolf's and Mansfield's particular inflection of modernism is considered too in the context of cinematic form, and the aesthetics of post-impressionism."--BOOK JACKET.
- Mansfield, Katherine, -- 1888-1923 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Women and literature -- New Zealand -- History -- 20th century.
- Women and literature -- England -- History -- 20th century.
- Woolf, Virginia, -- 1882-1941 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Psychological fiction, English -- History and criticism.
- English fiction -- Women authors -- History and criticism.
- Modernism (Literature) -- English-speaking countries.
- Difference (Psychology) in literature.
- Split self in literature.
- LITERARY CRITICISM -- European -- English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh.
- Electronic books.
- Mansfield, Katherine, -- 1888-1923 -- Criticism and interpretation -- Criticism and interpretation
- Woolf, Virginia, -- 1882-1941 -- Criticism and interpretation -- Criticism and interpretation