Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Andreĭ Romanovich Chikatilo|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||0679422765 9780679422761 0804111642 9780804111645|
|Description:||258 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.|
out, their sexual organs excised, their bodies spattered with the killer's semen. As the body count mounted, a remarkable Rostov detective, Viktor Burakov, became obsessed with hunting down the killer. He faced formidable odds. Archaic attitudes toward sex crimes and the nightmarish maze of the Soviet system produced an extraordinary range of false leads and bizarre theories: a satanic cult had formed, the murders were the work of a gang of mentally retarded boys, the.
killer must be a doctor, because the sexual organs of the victims had been carved out with surgical precision. The investigations of these hypotheses disrupted the lives of Rostov's citizens - most particularly homosexuals, who came under suspicion when young boys began to number among the slaughtered. Haunted by specters of the brutally murdered victims, Burakov took a startling route for a Soviet detective. He turned secretly to a psychiatrist - an expert on.
transsexualism - who produced a psychological profile of the killer that proved to be eerily accurate when Andrei Chikatilo - a family man, member of the Communist Party, and former schoolteacher - was finally hunted down and captured.
- Serial murders -- Russia (Federation) -- Rostovskai︠a︡ oblastʹ -- Case studies.
- Sex crimes -- Russia (Federation) -- Rostovskai︠a︡ oblastʹ -- Case studies.
- Chikatilo, Andreĭ Romanovich, -- 1936-1994.
- Serial murderers -- Russia (Federation) -- Rostovskai︠a︡ oblastʹ -- Biography.
- Mentally ill offenders -- Russia (Federation) -- Rostovskai︠a︡ oblastʹ -- Biography.