Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Fiction, Juvenile audience|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Janet Beeler Shaw; Renee Graef
|ISBN:||0937295094 9780937295090 0937295108 9780937295106 0937295825 9780937295823|
|Description:||69 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm.|
|Contents:||Kirsten's Family and Friends --
Miss Winston --
A Secret Friend --
Singing Bird and Yellow Hair --
|Series Title:||American girls collection.|
|Responsibility:||by Janet Shaw ; illustrations Renée Graef ; vignettes Paul Lackner.|
After immigrating from Sweden to join relatives in an American prairie community, Kirsten endures the ordeal of a strange school through a secret friendship with an Indian girl. Kirsten has a hard time in her new American school because she doesn't speak English very well. Miss Winston, her new teacher, is strict and not very understanding. Things get worse when Miss Winston comes to live with the Larson family. Kirsten's only escape is playing with her secret friend Singing Bird, the Indian girl. When Singing Bird suggests running away forever, Kirsten must decide where she belongs. Kirsten does learn some important lessons in school, but she learns something even more important about herself. - Back cover.
- Swedish Americans -- Juvenile fiction.
- Emigration and immigration -- Juvenile fiction.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Juvenile fiction.
- Indians of North America -- Juvenile fiction.
- Schools -- Juvenile fiction.
- Swedish Americans -- Fiction.
- Emigration and immigration -- Fiction.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Fiction.
- Indians of North America -- Fiction.
- Schools -- Fiction.
- Emigration and immigration.
- Frontier and pioneer life.
- Indians of North America.
- Swedish Americans.