Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Trials, litigation, etc|
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Trienens, Howard J.
Landscape with smokestacks.
Evanston, Ill. : Northwestern University Press, c2000
|Named Person:||Goodman family; Daniel C Searle; Edgar Degas; Edgar Degas; Edgar Degas|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Howard J Trienens
|Description:||xiv, 122 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||1. Edgar Degas creates Landscape with smokestacks --
2. Dan Searle buys the landscape --
3. The Goodmans claim the landscape --
4. The Goodmans sue Searle --
5. What happened to the landscape? --
6. The postwar search --
7. Pretrial legal issues --
8. The settlement --
|Responsibility:||Howard J. Trienens.|
"But the real story is far more complicated - and more compelling - than the one told by the media. Had the landscape been sent to Paris for safekeeping or to be sold? Was the work stolen by the Nazis or sold to an art dealer during the war?" "Documents produced during the litigation shed new light on the fate of the landscape. But because the suit was settled before trial, the story behind the headlines has not been publicly presented. Howard J. Trienens, a lawyer for the defendant collector, traces the landscape's travels from its prewar home in the Netherlands to the Art Institute of Chicago, where it is now on display.".
"Whatever the merits of the respective claims, the story of Landscape with Smokestacks is an absorbing mystery. And while the mystery cannot be fully solved, Trienens demonstrates the complexity that can surround Holocaust-related restitution cases and takes the media to task for their superficial treatment of this emotionally charged case."--BOOK JACKET.
- Goodman family -- Trials, litigation, etc.
- Searle, Daniel C. -- Trials, litigation, etc.
- Degas, Edgar, -- 1834-1917. -- Paysage avec fumé de cheminés.
- Art thefts -- France -- Paris -- History -- 20th century.
- Art treasures in war -- France -- Paris -- History -- 20th century.
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Reparations.
- Degas, Edgar, -- 1834-1917. -- Landscape with Smokestacks.
- Degas, Edgar.
- Restitution <Kulturpolitik>