Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||ix, 409 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm|
In the twentieth century, the cartel comes under the control of the Oppenheimers, a German-Jewish dynasty that builds De Beers and its gold-mining twin, the Anglo American Corporation, into an empire of unmatched global reach, and creates a shadow government more flexible and powerful than South Africa's official leadership. Kanfer documents the Oppenheimers' dealings on and under the table: their condemnation of apartheid even as they exploit cheap black labor, their quiet takeover of Salomon Brothers, their monopoly on diamonds and their grip on gold maintained at all costs and by any means. And he uncovers the passionate inside story of the billionaire family whose empire, he argues, will survive well into the twenty-first century.
- South Africa -- History -- 1836-1909.
- South Africa -- History -- 1909-1961.
- South Africa -- History -- 1961-1994.
- Diamond mines and mining -- South Africa -- History.
- De Beers Consolidated Mines -- History.
- De Beers Consolidated Mines.
- Diamond mines and mining.
- South Africa.
- DeBeers Consolidated Mines Limited.
- Südafrika (Staat)