Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||John Milton; John Milton; John Milton; Henry John Todd; Charles Symmons; Thomas Burgess|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||Text begins : "I entirely concur with your Lordships interpretation of Milton's meaning in the passage of his Defensio secunda" ; text ends : "A Preface to it on Milton's religious principles is in the Printer's hands, & will soon be sent to your Lordship".
"T. Sarum" = Thomas Burgess, Bishop of Salisbury.
Summary : Burgess concurs with his correspondent's opinion on Milton's Defensio secunda and is surpised that it should have been misrepresented by Bisop Watson [of Llandaff] and misunderstood by "Symmons & Todd". He has sent a copy of Milton's Tract on true religion published "the year before his death", which he [Burgess] is reprinting. His Preface to it on Milton's religious principles "is in the printer's hands" and a copy will be sent.
The "copy of Milton's Tract on true religion" refers to the apparent 'proof' copy of this text of Milton's "Treatise of true religion, heresy, schism, toleration, and what best means may be used against the spread of popery" which occurs as item 4 of this volume.
In his letter sent the next day, June 1st, 1826 to the same correspondent Burgess corrects his reference to Milton's "Defensio secunda" here to the "Defensio pro populo Anglicano". [Item 4A in this volume].
Item no. 4B in a volume of 6, with spine-title : Divinity : Burgess.1821 1825.
This letter pre-dates the letter at 4A and they have been bound up in the volume in the wrong order.
|Description:||2 sheets, paper ; 11 x 18.5 cm.|
|Other Titles:||Protestant union.
Divinity : Burgess : 1821 1825.
- Milton, John, -- 1608-1674. -- Treatise of true religion, haeresie, schism, toleration, and what best means may be used against the spread of popery.
- Milton, John, -- 1608-1674. -- Pro populo Anglicano defensio secunda.
- Milton, John, -- 1608-1674. -- Defensio pro populo anglicano.
- Todd, Henry John, -- 1763-1845. -- Some account of the life and writings of John Milton.
- Symmons, Charles, -- 1749-1826.
- Burgess, Thomas, -- 1756-1837. -- Correspondence.
- Catholic Church -- Doctrines -- Protestant authors.