Find a copy in the library
Records and correspondence
|Named Person:||William Westall; Edmund Downey; S Stepniak; Edmund Downey; S Stepniak; William Westall|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
This collection is comprised of 172 autograph letters, signed, written to Edmund Downey, novelist, publisher and editor. They were written from Essex, Switzerland, Australia, Worthing and others, from 1887-1903. The correspondence was between novelists, discussing Westall's works and his personal life. Most being with Westall sending a cheque. He describes Downey as "half author, half publisher," suggesting he published Westall's novels. There are references to other publishers. Publishing methods of the era are discussed. There is also correspondence with Russian Revolutionary, Sergius Stepniak, who wrote an article for the American magazine, the Cosmopolitan.
- Westall, William, -- 1835-1903 -- Correspondence.
- Downey, Edmund, -- 1856-1937 -- Correspondence.
- Stepniak, S., -- 1851-1895 -- Correspondence.
- Novelists -- Correspondence.
- Revolutionaries -- Russia -- Correspondence.
- Publishers and publishing -- England -- History -- 19th century.
- Essex (England) -- History.
- Switzerland -- History.
- Australia -- History.
- Worthing (England) -- History.
- Downey, Edmund, -- 1856-1937.
- Stepniak, S., -- 1851-1895.
- Westall, William, -- 1835-1903.
- Publishers and publishing.
- England -- Essex.
- England -- Worthing.