Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Records and correspondence
|Named Person:||Anthony Wayne; Anthony Wayne; Henry Knox; Charles Scott; Arthur St Clair|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Anthony Wayne; Henry Knox; Charles Scott; Arthur St Clair; United States. War Department.; Northwest Territory. Governor (1787-1802 : St. Clair); Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library); Newberry Library.
|Notes:||Forms part of the Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library).|
|Description:||4 items (3 folders) ; 34 cm or smaller|
To Secretary of War Knox on Oct. 3, 1792, Wayne comments that there will be no peace with the Indians unless the U.S. agrees to a boundary line excluding it from the Great Lakes region. On Sept. 4, 1793, Wayne excerpts a letter from Henry Knox to inform Charles Scott, major general of the Kentucky mounted militia, that while preparations for war were to proceed, there were to be no actions that would jeopardize the efforts of the peace commissioners. In the third letter, written Aug. 19, 1795, to Northwest Territory Governor Arthur St. Clair, Wayne reports that he has received a talk from the Cherokees in which they promised to refrain from attacks on U.S. citizens or their property and to return from north of the Ohio to their own nation. Wayne also notes that the depradations of a Shawnee war party would cease and that citizens of the frontier would now be able to live in peace unless their misconduct prevented it. The appointment lists officers selected to command the Kentucky mounted militia, including Charles Scott, and requests that troops be raised and made ready to march.
- Wayne, Anthony, -- 1745-1796.
- Wayne, Anthony, -- 1745-1796 -- Correspondence.
- Knox, Henry, -- 1750-1806 -- Correspondence.
- Scott, Charles, -- 1739-1813.
- St. Clair, Arthur, -- 1734-1818 -- Correspondence.
- United States. -- Army. -- Legion of the United States -- Officers -- Correspondence.
- Northwest, Old. -- Governor (1787-1802 : St. Clair) -- Records and correspondence.
- United States. -- War Department -- Records and correspondence.
- Cherokee Indians -- Wars -- History -- 18th century -- Sources.
- Indians of North America -- Wars -- Northwest, Old -- History -- 18th century -- Sources.
- Shawnee Indians -- Wars -- History -- 18th century -- Sources.
- Kentucky -- Militia -- History -- 18th century -- Sources.
- Northwest, Old -- History -- 18th century -- Sources.