Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Twain, Mark, 1835-1910.
Life on the Mississippi.
Boston : James R. Osgood and Co., 1883 (Cambridge : John Wilson & Son ; University Press)
|Material Type:||Fiction, Juvenile audience, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Mark Twain; James R. Osgood and Company.; John Wilson and Son.; University Press (Cambridge, Mass.)
|Notes:||First variant of the first American edition, having an illustration on page 441, showing Mark Twain in flames, which was omitted at the request of Mrs. Clemens, in further printings of the same date. Cf. Merle Johnson. A bibliography of the work of Mark Twain, 1910, p. 57.
"Sold by subscription only."
BAL notes two states of p. 443. First state caption reads: The St. Louis Hotel; "first state, intermediate A (B?)" caption reads: The St. Charles Hotel.
Baldwin Library copy lacks illustration on p. 441.
|Description:||624 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.|
|Responsibility:||by Mark Twain ; with more than 300 illustrations.|
- Wit and humor.
- Children -- Conduct of life -- Juvenile fiction.
- Conduct of life -- Juvenile fiction.
- Pilots and pilotage -- Mississippi River -- Juvenile fiction.
- River boats -- Juvenile fiction.
- Steamboats -- Juvenile fiction.
- River life -- Mississippi River -- Juvenile fiction.
- Voyages and travels -- Juvenile fiction.
- Adventure stories.
- Mississippi River -- Description and travel -- Juvenile fiction.
- Mississippi River Valley -- Social life and customs -- Juvenile fiction.