Gardner, John, 1933-1982.
Life & times of Chaucer.
New York : Knopf : distributed by Random House, 1977
|提及的人：||Geoffrey Chaucer; Geoffrey Chaucer; Geoffrey Chaucer|
|描述：||ix, 328, x pages : illustrations ; 25 cm|
|内容：||1. Chaucer's ancestry and some remarks on fourteenth-century English history --
2. Chaucer's youth and early education : life and the specter of death on the Ringing Isle (c.1340-1357) --
3. Chaucer as young courtier, soldier, and, in some sense, lover (1357-1360) --
4. Chaucer's further education, a summary of some fourteenth-century ideas of great importance to Chaucer, and the poet's marriage to Philippa Roet : speculations and scurrilous gossip (1360-1367) --
5. Significant moments and influences : Pedro the Cruel, two deaths, that shameless woman and wanton harlot Alice Perrers, and Italian artistic humanism (1367-1373) --
6. Chaucer's adventures as celebrated poet, civil servant, and diplomat in the declining years of King Edward III (1374-1377), with some remarks on Chaucer's honesty and comments on his art --
7. Life during the minority of Richard II : the peasants' revolt and its aftermath (1377-c.1385), with more scurrilous gossip --
8. The rise of Gloucester, and Chaucer's fortunes as a Royalist in evil times --
9. The deaths of Gloucester, John of Gaunt, and the hero of this book.
|責任：||by John Gardner ; ornaments by J. Wolf.|
A biography of the medieval English author who wrote "The Canterbury Tales," "Troilus and Criseyde," "The Legend of Good Women," and other works.