|類型/形式：||Downloadable audio books
Criticism, interpretation, etc
|提及的人：||Thomas Merton; Dorothy Day; Walker Percy; Flannery O'Connor; Dorothy Day; Thomas Merton; Flannery O'Connor; Walker Percy|
|資料類型：||傳記, 有聲書，等, 錄音, 網際網路資源|
|文件類型：||網路資源, 電腦資料, 錄音|
Paul Elie; Lloyd James; Blackstone Audio, Inc.
Title from image on Web page (viewed Dec. 17, 2009).
Previously released on compact disc, 2004.
|表演者：||Read by Lloyd James.|
|描述：||1 online resource (1 sound file)|
|内容：||Prologue : on pilgrimage --
The downward path --
Seeking the real --
Another world --
The school of the Holy Ghost --
The stranger --
Pilgrimage or crusade? --
The holiness of the ordinary --
The life you save may be your own.
In the mid-twentieth century four American Catholics came to believe that the best way to explore the questions of religious faith was to write about them, in works that readers of all kinds could admire. This book is their story, a vivid and enthralling account of great writers and their power over us. Thomas Merton was a Trappist monk in Kentucky; Dorothy Day the founder of the Catholic Worker in New York; Flannery O'Connor a "Christ-haunted" literary prodigy in Georgia; Walker Percy a doctor in New Orleans who quit medicine to write fiction and philosophy. A friend came up with a name for them--the School of the Holy Ghost--and for three decades they exchanged letters, read one another's books, and grappled with what one of them called a "predicament shared in common." In this book Paul Elie tells these writers' story as a pilgrimage from the God-obsessed literary past of Dante and Dostoevsky out into the thrilling chaos of postwar American life. It is a story of how the Catholic faith, in their vis.
- American literature -- Catholic authors -- History and criticism.
- Christianity and literature -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- American literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Catholics -- United States -- Intellectual life.
- Catholics -- United States -- Biography.
- Catholics in literature.
- Merton, Thomas, -- 1915-1968.
- Day, Dorothy, -- 1897-1980.
- Percy, Walker, -- 1916-1990.
- O'Connor, Flannery.
- American literature.
- American literature -- Catholic authors.
- Authors, American.
- Catholics -- Intellectual life.
- Christianity and literature.
- United States.