Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Young adult literature, American
|Named Person:||Elizabeth Eckford; Elizabeth Eckford; Elizabeth Eckford; Elizabeth Eckford|
|Material Type:||Biography, Juvenile audience|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780756544409 0756544408 9780756545123 0756545129|
|Target Audience:||Middle School.; 1010|
|Description:||64 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 27 cm.|
|Contents:||Crisis in Little Rock --
Quest for equal rights --
Two symbolic photos --
The American dream.
|Series Title:||Captured history.|
|Responsibility:||by Shelley Tougas.|
Nine African-American students made history when they defied a governor and integrated an Arkansas high school in 1957. It was the photo of one of the nine trying to enter the school- a young girl being taunted, harassed, and threatened by an angry mob- that grabbed the world's attention and kept its disapproving gaze on Little Rock, Arkansas. In defiance of a federal court order, Governor Orval Faubus called in the National Guard to prevent the students from entering the all-white Central High School. A chilling photo by newspaper photographer Will Counts captured the sneering expression of a girl in the mob and made history. -- from Back Cover.
- Eckford, Elizabeth, -- 1941- -- Juvenile literature.
- Central High School (Little Rock, Ark.) -- Juvenile literature.
- School integration -- Arkansas -- Little Rock -- Juvenile literature.
- African American high school students -- Arkansas -- Little Rock -- Juvenile literature.
- Civil rights movements -- History -- Juvenile literature.
- Little Rock (Ark.) -- Race relations -- Juvenile literature.
- Civil rights.
- Racism in education.
- Eckford, Elizabeth, -- 1941-
- Central High School (Little Rock, Ark.)
- School integration.
- African American high school students.
- Little Rock (Ark.) -- Race relations.
- Little Rock (Ark.) -- Central High School Little Rock.
- School integration -- Little Rock (Ark.)
- High school students -- Little Rock (Ark.)
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- Little Rock (Ark.)
- Civil rights movements.
- Race relations.
- Arkansas -- Little Rock.
User lists with this item (4)
- MS/HS History/Social Studies(92 items)
by jawalker updated about a month ago
- UNO-JUV Biographies & Autobiographies(105 items)
by UNO-YA updated 2015-07-20
- UNO-JUV Historical Nonfiction(64 items)
by UNO-YA updated 2015-07-17
- Civil War/Slavery, Civil Rights, African American "firsts"(72 items)
by hakiyoshi updated 2013-03-12